Re: [RedHotJazz] Tony Parenti: what to buy?

  • Olivier Douville
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 1, 2007
      Hello; Everybody I 'll be glad to find detailled info 'bout the pianist
      J;C. Johnson (not James P. but James C.)
      Thanks
      O.D.

      My advice is to go to the Redhotjazz.com site and look up the recordings of
      Anthony Parenti. Here you can listen to them and then buy what you like. His
      solo recording of Old Man Rhytm is a superlative recording.

      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 1, 2007
        on 1/10/07 17:33, Olivier Douville at douvilleolivier@... wrote:

        >Hello; Everybody I 'll be glad to find detailled info 'bout the pianist
        >J;C. Johnson (not James P. but James C.)

        Born Chicago, 14 September 1896, died New York, 27 February 1981
        Recorded accompaniments to numerous blues singers and a few very fine band
        sides.
        Many compositions including Empty Bed Blues and The Joint Is Jumpin'.
        Last recorded 1930 with Bennett's Swamplanders.
        Later wrote and organized musical revues including Jazz Train, which he
        brought to Europe in 1955.

      • Olivier Douville
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 1, 2007
          Great ! Thanks
          OD

          howard@... <mailto:howard%40coppermill.demon.co.uk>

          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 1, 2007
            If your interest is mainly in 20s jazz and hot dance music, the record by Parenti to get is definitely Frog DGF 4 "Strut Yo Stuff", which has all of Parenti's recordings under his own name from that decade. This has state-of-the-art audio restoration work by the late John RT Davies. There is much Parenti from the 40s to the 70s on various labels owned by George H. Buck, most of which can be safely recommended.

            Michael Rader

            > -----Urspr√ľngliche Nachricht-----

            In 5 Schritten zur eigenen Homepage. Jetzt Domain sichern und gestalten!
            Nur 3,99 EUR/Monat! http://www.maildomain.web.de/?mc=021114
          • Mark Harwood
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 2, 2007
              Thanks Michael.
              I've ordered "Strut Yo' Stuff".
              I wonder whether there will ever be full acknowledgement of John R.T.
              Davies's services to recorded jazz. It would have been nice to have
              been able to thank him personally for the work he did.
              Any other recommendations about Tony Parenti and this style of music
              are still welcome.

              --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, Michael Rader <Rader.Michael@...>
              wrote:

              > If your interest is mainly in 20s jazz and hot dance music, the
              record by Parenti to get is definitely Frog DGF 4 "Strut Yo Stuff",
              which has all of Parenti's recordings under his own name from that
              decade. This has state-of-the-art audio restoration work by the late
              John RT Davies. There is much Parenti from the 40s to the 70s on
              various labels owned by George H. Buck, most of which can be safely
              recommended.

              > Michael Rader
              >
              > > -----Urspr√ľngliche Nachricht-----

              ___

              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 2, 2007
                Thanks Mordechai. Will do.
                Guidance from more knowledgeable folks such as yourself helps too,
                though.

                --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, Mordechai Litzman <folke613@...>