Tony Parenti: what to buy?

  • Mark Harwood
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 1, 2007
      Hello jazz people.
      I'm still exploring 1920s jazz, and thoroughly enjoying it. Now I've
      come across the name and reputation of Anthony Parenti, and confidently
      expect to like his recordings, wherever they lie on the dance band/jazz
      spectrum.
      My question is, there being several titles available from Amazon UK,
      what should I buy? Are there titles to avoid? Is there a "must-have"
      title? Is there a combination of discs that covers his recording career
      well? All opinions are welcome. Thanks.
    • Olivier Douville
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 1, 2007
        Hello; Everybody I 'll be glad to find detailled info 'bout the pianist
        J;C. Johnson (not James P. but James C.)
        Thanks
        O.D.

        My advice is to go to the Redhotjazz.com site and look up the recordings of
        Anthony Parenti. Here you can listen to them and then buy what you like. His
        solo recording of Old Man Rhytm is a superlative recording.

        I'm still exploring 1920s jazz, and thoroughly enjoying it. Now I've

        come across the name and reputation of Anthony Parenti, and confidently

        expect to like his recordings, wherever they lie on the dance band/jazz

        spectrum.

        My question is, there being several titles available from Amazon UK,

        what should I buy? Are there titles to avoid? Is there a "must-have"

        title? Is there a combination of discs that covers his recording career

        well? All opinions are welcome. Thanks.

        <!--

        #ygrp-mkp{
        border:1px solid #d8d8d8;font-family:Arial;margin:14px 0px;padding:0px
        14px;}
        #ygrp-mkp hr{
        border:1px solid #d8d8d8;}
        #ygrp-mkp #hd{
        0px;}
        #ygrp-mkp #ads{
        margin-bottom:10px;}
        #ygrp-mkp .ad{
        padding:0 0;}
        #ygrp-mkp .ad a{
        color:#0000ff;text-decoration:none;}
        -->

        <!--

        #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc{
        font-family:Arial;}
        #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc #hd{
        #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc .ad{
        margin-bottom:10px;padding:0 0;}
        -->

        <!--

        #ygrp-mlmsg {font-size:13px;font-family:arial, helvetica, clean,
        sans-serif;}
        #ygrp-mlmsg select, input, textarea {font:99% arial, helvetica, clean,
        sans-serif;}
        #ygrp-mlmsg * {line-height:1.22em;}
        #ygrp-text{
        font-family:Georgia;
        }
        #ygrp-text p{
        margin:0 0 1em 0;}
        #ygrp-tpmsgs{
        font-family:Arial;
        clear:both;}
        #ygrp-vitnav{
        #ygrp-vitnav a{
        padding:0 1px;}
        #ygrp-actbar{
        #ygrp-actbar .left{
        float:left;white-space:nowrap;}
        .bld{font-weight:bold;}
        #ygrp-grft{
        #ygrp-ft{
        padding:5px 0;
        }
        #ygrp-mlmsg #logo{
        padding-bottom:10px;}

        #ygrp-vital{
        #ygrp-vital #vithd{
        font-size:77%;font-family:Verdana;font-weight:bold;color:#333;text-transform
        :uppercase;}
        #ygrp-vital ul{
        padding:0;margin:2px 0;}
        #ygrp-vital ul li{
        }
        #ygrp-vital ul li .ct{
        font-weight:bold;color:#ff7900;float:right;width:2em;text-align:right;paddin
        g-right:.5em;}
        #ygrp-vital ul li .cat{
        font-weight:bold;}
        #ygrp-vital a{
        text-decoration:none;}

        #ygrp-vital a:hover{
        text-decoration:underline;}

        #ygrp-sponsor #hd{
        color:#999;font-size:77%;}
        #ygrp-sponsor #ov{
        #ygrp-sponsor #ov ul{
        padding:0 0 0 8px;margin:0;}
        #ygrp-sponsor #ov li{
        #ygrp-sponsor #ov li a{
        text-decoration:none;font-size:130%;}
        #ygrp-sponsor #nc{
        #ygrp-sponsor .ad{
        padding:8px 0;}
        #ygrp-sponsor .ad #hd1{
        font-family:Arial;font-weight:bold;color:#628c2a;font-size:100%;line-height:
        122%;}
        #ygrp-sponsor .ad a{
        text-decoration:none;}
        #ygrp-sponsor .ad a:hover{
        text-decoration:underline;}
        #ygrp-sponsor .ad p{
        margin:0;}
        o{font-size:0;}
        .MsoNormal{
        margin:0 0 0 0;}
        #ygrp-text tt{
        font-size:120%;}
        blockquote{margin:0 0 0 4px;}
        .replbq{margin:4;}
        -->

        Olivier Douville

        Directeur de publication de PSYCHOLOGIE CLINIQUE

        22, rue de la Tour d'Auvergne 75009 Paris
        tel : 06 77 69 24 51

        douvilleolivier@...

        liens
        http://www.dunod.com/pages/ouvrages/ficheouvrage.asp?id=49180
        http://www.psycho-ressources.com/olivier-douville.html

      • Mordechai Litzman
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 1, 2007

          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 1, 2007
            on 1/10/07 17:33, Olivier Douville at douvilleolivier@... wrote:

            >Hello; Everybody I 'll be glad to find detailled info 'bout the pianist
            >J;C. Johnson (not James P. but James C.)

            Born Chicago, 14 September 1896, died New York, 27 February 1981
            Recorded accompaniments to numerous blues singers and a few very fine band
            sides.
            Many compositions including Empty Bed Blues and The Joint Is Jumpin'.
            Last recorded 1930 with Bennett's Swamplanders.
            Later wrote and organized musical revues including Jazz Train, which he
            brought to Europe in 1955.

          • Olivier Douville
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 1, 2007
              Great ! Thanks
              OD

              howard@... <mailto:howard%40coppermill.demon.co.uk>

              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 1, 2007
                If your interest is mainly in 20s jazz and hot dance music, the record by Parenti to get is definitely Frog DGF 4 "Strut Yo Stuff", which has all of Parenti's recordings under his own name from that decade. This has state-of-the-art audio restoration work by the late John RT Davies. There is much Parenti from the 40s to the 70s on various labels owned by George H. Buck, most of which can be safely recommended.

                Michael Rader

                > -----Urspr√ľngliche Nachricht-----

                In 5 Schritten zur eigenen Homepage. Jetzt Domain sichern und gestalten!
                Nur 3,99 EUR/Monat! http://www.maildomain.web.de/?mc=021114
              • Mark Harwood
                Message 7 of 8 , Oct 2, 2007
                  Thanks Michael.
                  I've ordered "Strut Yo' Stuff".
                  I wonder whether there will ever be full acknowledgement of John R.T.
                  Davies's services to recorded jazz. It would have been nice to have
                  been able to thank him personally for the work he did.
                  Any other recommendations about Tony Parenti and this style of music
                  are still welcome.

                  --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, Michael Rader <Rader.Michael@...>
                  wrote:

                  > If your interest is mainly in 20s jazz and hot dance music, the
                  record by Parenti to get is definitely Frog DGF 4 "Strut Yo Stuff",
                  which has all of Parenti's recordings under his own name from that
                  decade. This has state-of-the-art audio restoration work by the late
                  John RT Davies. There is much Parenti from the 40s to the 70s on
                  various labels owned by George H. Buck, most of which can be safely
                  recommended.

                  > Michael Rader
                  >
                  > > -----Urspr√ľngliche Nachricht-----

                  ___

                  Message 8 of 8 , Oct 2, 2007
                    Thanks Mordechai. Will do.
                    Guidance from more knowledgeable folks such as yourself helps too,
                    though.

                    --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, Mordechai Litzman <folke613@...>