Jazz artists of the 1920's, popular or not?

  • Tommer
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 29, 2007
      The following article deals with sales figures of records:
      http://www.mainspringpress.com/millions.html

      1. It seems that sales figures blew out of proportion and this article
      gave me food for thoughts, how popular was Bix selling only 2225 units
      of his record.

      2.The following quote took my attention: "In fact, many race issues
      sold fairly well, especially for artists with some crossover appeal to
      white buyers."

      3. The picture. Maybe its a wrong so I'll be glad to be corrected, but
      what seems to come up from the statistics in this article, is that
      white Jazz listeners were mostly buying Jazz records done by blacks,
      and a few Jazz artists like Goltkette and Whiteman were able to
      crossover between Jazz and Pop listeners having 6 and maybe even 7
      figure records.

      tommersl