Re: [RedHotJazz] Our theme

  • Mordechai Litzman
    Message 1 of 20 , Sep 26, 2007
      You are 100% right - I got so excited by this performance that I wanted to share it right away with the group and didn't check my references.

      Message 2 of 20 , Sep 26, 2007
        When the Stomp Off label started in the 70s-80's some of their first LPs featured the Peruna Jazz Men. Not everything has been reissued and one of my favorites is Oriental Man done in the style of East Coast Trot with Johnny Dodds and Junie Cobb. To my surprise one of the band members is now putting up a number of videos of the 1980s and later performances of Peruna on YouTube. Usually the video quality is poor, but the sound is usually fair to good.
        Look under Peruna Jazz Band and/or Arne Hoejberg on YouTube and enjoy!

        Message 3 of 20 , Oct 11, 2007
          F 2541 Who's Sorry Now / Jealous
          F 2543 At the Jazz Band Ball / If I Had You

          The above are UK Parlophone catalogue numbers. 'Tommy Rogers Ballroom Dance
          Orchestra directed by Harry Gold'

          'At The Jazz Band Ball' and further sides appear on 'Ballroom Dancing ---
          The Essential Collection' double CD on the West End label.

          Any details on these sides anybody ?

          Thanks Dave

          Message 4 of 20 , Oct 11, 2007
            They were issued in about 1954/5.

            There are two more couplings:

            F2546 Yes, Sir, That's My Baby/Carolina In The Morning
            F2550 Sentimental Journey/Any Old Rag

            F2541/F2543 were also issued as an EP: GEP8511, and the other two as
            GEP8518.

            They are advertised as Quicksteps and Foxtrots "in tempo", so presumably
            they are of minimal jazz interest, which no doubt explains why they are not
            in jazz discographies.

            Message 5 of 20 , Oct 12, 2007
              Many thanks as ever Howard. Did I really doubt that even such fringe
              esoterica was beyond your power ?

              Actually, the two sides I have heard 'Jazz Band Ball' and especially 'If I
              had You' are good British jazz of the period with no concessions to 'Come
              Dancing'.

              The trumpet is nice and of particular note the presence here, surprisingly
              replacing the de rigueur clarinet, of a soprano, or more likely, sopranino.

              I have no Gold discography covering this period. Can you come up with a
              contemporary Gold personnel ?

              Also can anybody come up with any sopranino recordings which may enlighten
              as to the capacity and range of this instrument ?

              Thanks again

              Message 6 of 20 , Oct 12, 2007
                Clarrie Henley's article on Gold in Grove doesn't have any bibliography that
                might clarify this. I assume therefore that he is not the subject of one of
                Tony Middleton's discographies of British jazzers of this era. Tony is still
                the man most likely to know.

                If these are jazz performances it still is probably not surprising they
                weren't spotted at the time, given that the British jazz world was so
                divided at the time into trad followers and bop followers, and that they
                were advertised as strict tempo. The hot Victor Sylvester's and Josephine
                Bradley's were spotted immediately they appeared but that was in the 40s and
                they were advertised as for jive dancing. I remember being played sides by
                Victor Sylvester's Jive Band years ago as examples of the very best to which
                British jazz could aspire, but these Golds were released to a much more
                blinkered generation. The contemporary Joe Daniels and Freddy Randall output
                was essentially regarded as ersatz jazz unworthy of documentation so what
                chance did these stand?

                If anyone can come up with a matrrix number we could get closer to the date.
                I wouldn't put any significant money on there being a personnel in the files
                though! (In fact I'd rather bet against it.)

                Message 7 of 20 , Oct 16, 2007
                  My thanks to Nick for the following matrix nos.

                  Who's Sorry Now - CE 15118-3A
                  Jealous - CE 15119-3A
                  At The Jazz Band Ball - CE 15120-1A
                  If I Had You - CE 15121-3A

                  Does this help Howard ? You are right about the divided UK scene but these
                  sides are sure better than Daniels and more in Randall territory although
                  nearer to swing than Condon. Interesting as they seem to predate the UK
                  'mainstream' revival.

                  Dave

                  PS Either nobody reads this or nobody can produce a sopranino solo in the
                  recorded history of jazz ?

                  Message 8 of 20 , Oct 16, 2007
                    I believe there are plenty in off-topic areas of jazz - Anthony Braxton and
                    them cats.

                    It was once widely believed (well by Brian Rust anyway) that Johnny Dodds
                    played sopranino saxophone on at least some tracks of the 5 October 1923
                    King Oliver Gennett session. Haven't heard this theory lately. Laurie
                    Wright's 'King Oliver' doesn't even bother to dismiss it.

                    Message 9 of 20 , Oct 16, 2007
                      Earlier than we thought then. Precise dates would need the files of course
                      but these date out to somewhere around August 1954. There's a gap in
                      Humphrey Lyttelton sessions between June and November and off-hand I've
                      failed to think of anyone else to compare with.

                      My thanks to Nick for the following matrix nos.

                      Who's Sorry Now - CE 15118-3A
                      Jealous - CE 15119-3A
                      At The Jazz Band Ball - CE 15120-1A
                      If I Had You - CE 15121-3A

                    • Andrew Homzy
                      Message 10 of 20 , Oct 16, 2007
                        Here, we see James Carter playing jazz on the sopranino sax:

                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MklLQdBb6PU

                        Cheers,

                        Andrew Homzy, Montréal

                        Message 11 of 20 , Oct 17, 2007
                          Thanks Howard.

                          Oh yes, the enigmatic clarinet on the 'Zulu's Ball' session which never will
                          be solved.

                          Thanks Andrew, there are a couple more sopranino samples up Youtube, both
                          straight and curved, which I think go to prove why nobody ever played it
                          seriously.

                          The obvious candidate, as there is no bass sax, is Harry himself. But I can
                          find no listing anywhere of Harry on soprano let alone sopranino.

                          Does anybody know of any British soprano and/or sopranino players of this
                          period ?