Re: [RedHotJazz] new Frog CDs/Birmingham Serenaders

    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 3, 2005
      on 3/6/05 6:47, Michael Rader at Rader.Michael@... wrote:

      > The Frog also includes unissued items from the May 24 1938 session for
      > Vocalion, but alas not the issued items. Does anyone know if these have been
      > reissued?

      They are on Classics 953 Clarence Williams Vol. 13. Not heard.

      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 3, 2005
        Thanks for the reply.

        Drat - I hate buying dubs of my old LPs, but the 1938 recordings probably weren't ever on LP. Has anyone heard them? Strange personnel with electric organ, and unfortunately not available by the RedHotJazz site. In the meantime, any opinions on the Birmingham Serenaders? After listening again, I don't think the vocal can be Clarence. There might be two different vocalists involved, however. The trumpet is good and hot and there's a very fluent brass bass. Not Clarence' regular companions, but he did on occasion borrow other peoples' bands.

        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 5, 2005
          on 3/6/05 9:26, Howard Rye at howard@... wrote:

          > on 3/6/05 6:47, Michael Rader at Rader.Michael@... wrote:
          >
          >> The Frog also includes unissued items from the May 24 1938 session for
          >> Vocalion, but alas not the issued items. Does anyone know if these have been
          >> reissued?
          >
          > They are on Classics 953 Clarence Williams Vol. 13. Not heard.

          I have now heard these and I guess that the reason they're omitted from the
          Frog issue is that Clarence Williams plays no perceptible (if any) part in
          them! Babe Matthews's singing is to my ears quite delightful, Connie Berry
          is a perfectly adequate pianist, Cozy Cole drums up a storm on the
          instrumental. Don Baker on organ is underwhelming on the vocal numbers, all
          too overwhelming on the instrumental.

          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 7, 2005
            Thanks for listening. It sounds very much like what I was expecting. It is to be hoped that the unissued tracks on Frog will come as a pleasant surprise.

            Best wishes,

            Michael

            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 9, 2005
              on 3/6/05 12:13, Michael Rader at Rader.Michael@... wrote:

              > Drat - I hate buying dubs of my old LPs, but the 1938 recordings probably
              > weren't ever on LP. Has anyone heard them? Strange personnel with electric
              > organ, and unfortunately not available by the RedHotJazz site. In the
              > meantime, any opinions on the Birmingham Serenaders? After listening again, I
              > don't think the vocal can be Clarence. There might be two different vocalists
              > involved, however. The trumpet is good and hot and there's a very fluent brass
              > bass. Not Clarence' regular companions, but he did on occasion borrow other
              > peoples' bands.

              There isn't a shred of evidence to connect these with Clarence, unless you
              believe in the Pete Brown connection and my ears certainly don't. Any
              connection with Clarence was rejected both by the Storyville study and by
              Tom Lord's scholarly study of Williams. (This is not the same Tom Lord as
              the Canadian discograher in case anyone thinks it is.)

              Now that I've heard Frog DGF57, which is no doubt better dubbed than
              whatever I had them on before, I find I still think what I thought when I
              first heard the 78s umpty-tump years ago (I do remember when but I'm not
              saying).

              This is a territory band. The band name could be trying to tell us
              something. There is no shred of evidence for this theory either (but at
              least it doesn't involve making up any names). One thing I am sure of is
              that the singer on the blues sides is a "real" blues singer and not just a
              musician doing a vocal.

              One can only gasp at the splendid example provided by the notes of trying to
              fit known names to musicians who sound nothing like them, especially the
              naming of Charlie Gaines, followed by a note that he denied his presence!
              Well, at least they admitted it.

              I was even more gob-smacked to read in the notes apropos the 31 October 1930
              session by the Bingie Madison band that "they had accompanied Mamie Smith on
              19 February 1929 for the Okeh label". Since Mamie didn't record on that date
              I presume this refers to the 19 February 1931 Jenny's Ball session which was
              long credited to the Madison band. However so many members of the band
              denied involvement over the years that even Brian Rust has dropped this
              speculation and Rust 6 doesn't even allude to it (whereas in B & G we
              thought we ought to mention it). There was nothing unintelligent about this
              particular speculation; it just wasn't correct and it's an awful warning of
              the way such speculations can become fact in people's minds without any
              justification whatever.

              The three unissued trio sides are a delight, though it's very obvious why
              they weren't issued at the time. They're a Sunday evening get together in
              the Williams living room! Connie Berry (female by the way) gives a very good
              account of herself at the piano and it's a shame this is her only confirmned
              appearance on record.

              Anyone intending to order from Frog should note that the fax only works when
              Dawn's not answering the phone, which is not good news for those calling
              from overseas.

              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 9, 2005
                The main reason for connecting them with Williams, if I understand Lord correctly, is the repertoire, i.e. the numbers played at the session, which were owned by Williams' publishing company. Another reason might be the use of brass rather than string bass - at times the work does remind me of contemporary Cyrus St. Clair. I have them on a Harrison LP, which isn't as badly dubbed as I recalled. The first track on that has a - at first hearing - rather "hammy" vocal which reminded me of Kellog Jefferson, or whatever the vocalist on the Troy Floyd sides was called. Either he improves on the other tracks or there is a second vocalist. As I said, David French was convinced that these were by a Williams band...

                By the way, who wrote the booklet notes?

                When I tried to fax Dawn last, I got a "line engaged" signal for almost the whole morning and she sent me an e-mail saying it was better to send a letter anyway, unless you can tell her all you need to in an e-mail.

                Michael Rader

                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 9, 2005
                  on 9/6/05 12:53, Michael Rader at Rader.Michael@... wrote:

                  > The main reason for connecting them with Williams, if I understand Lord
                  > correctly, is the repertoire, i.e. the numbers played at the session, which
                  > were owned by Williams' publishing company. Another reason might be the use of
                  > brass rather than string bass - at times the work does remind me of
                  > contemporary Cyrus St. Clair. I have them on a Harrison LP, which isn't as
                  > badly dubbed as I recalled. The first track on that has a - at first hearing -
                  > rather "hammy" vocal which reminded me of Kellog Jefferson, or whatever the
                  > vocalist on the Troy Floyd sides was called. Either he improves on the other
                  > tracks or there is a second vocalist.

                  I didn't say he was good. I said he was a real blues singer. Clear?!!