Andy Kirk 12 William Dirvin tenor gtr?

  • David W. Littlefield
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 14, 2007
      Hi All. I'm listening to Andy Kirk's 1929 records (Classics CD 655).
      Banjo-guitar player is William Dirvin. In ensembles and when soloing,
      It sounds like he's playing a *tenor* guitar (On most tracks he's on
      banjo). Anyone know whether he might even be playing a National
      triolian or tricone? If he's playing a six string, he's sticking to
      the high strings, no sign of the lower strings...

      One of his solos is on "Froggy Bottom" 11/11/29.

      Perhaps he's just playing close to the microphone. I once asked a
      couple of folks the same question about Joe Brannelly,
      banjoist-guitarist with the Rhythmic 8, and was told that he had the
      (wooden) tenor guitar's strings as tight as he could get them and
      played very close to the mic in order to get the volume and sound he did...

      Thanks.
      --Sheik

      Dave Littlefield banjo, piano, guitar, washboard
      Coming soon: "20s-30s Fake Book"
      http://americanmusiccaravan.com