Re: Alan Cooper

  • Robert Greenwood
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 12, 2007
      Thank you, Hugh. The on-line edition of the Times obituary now
      contains several affectionate tributes to Alan. I always feel that he
      was insufficiently recorded, even with the Temperance Seven. I
      believe there was a trio session recorded for VJM, long since
      unavailable and, so far, not reissued on CD. Anyone interested might
      like to look into a CD on Jazz Crusade JCCD 3209 by Johnny Parker's
      Reunion Band, a live session made at the 100 Club in 1984 by a pick-
      up band that imaginatively placed Cooper alongside Ken Colyer.
      Cooper's playing throughout is beautiful, especially on Careless
      Love. As the Times obituarist writes, he admitted to no especial
      single influence but his playing had something of the delicacy of
      the "creole" players mixed in with his own eccentric and highly
      individual approach. He was definitely an original and derivative of
      no-one. At a gig I once saw him pondering a postcard sent from New
      Orleans and depicting the Preservation Hall Band. "To us" he said to
      no-one in particular, "they all sound like George Lewis, and to them
      we all sound like Acker Bilk." Evidently, "they" were yet to hear
      Cooper.
      Robert Greenwood

      --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, Hugh <hughphoric@...> wrote:

      > I very much agree with Robert's assessment of 'Coops'. His clarinet
      solo on the Temp's Charley My Boy still fascinates me.