Re: [RedHotJazz] Oscar Aléman

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 11, 2007
      ----- Original Message -----
      From: "David W. Littlefield" <dwlit@...>
      To: <RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Tuesday, September 11, 2007 4:08 PM
      Subject: Re: [RedHotJazz] Oscar Aléman

      > At 08:03 AM 09/11/07, you wrote:
      >>Incidentally, what's Hi.Tec about Oscar's playing? You've lost me there,
      >>especially as he mostly played a dobro.
      >
      > Howard, when you say "dobro", do you mean that literally, or are you
      > using the term to mean *resonator guitar*? Do you happen to know
      > whether it had a wooden or metal body?

      I never dug the question but Aleman's intrument is often referred to as a
      *metal* Dobro. Not the wooden thing commonly used in bluegrass music of
      course (and I also thought it was a National), there *were* (expensive)
      metal Dobro's - metal-bodied, with the "spider" system. I was about to
      provide a link for the wonderful pics I has bookmarked, but unfortunately
      the site has vanished!