Re: Ida Cox's "Coffin Blues"

  • spacelights
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 10, 2007

      > "Shoffner is a possible candidate but in the absence of any firm
      > evidence it is safe to leave him as 'unknown'."

      Since Shoffner seems to have been established on the preceding
      matrices, Cox's "How Can I Miss You When I've Got Dead Aim"/"I Ain't
      Got Nobody", a comparison with these might prove illuminating one way
      or the other (though I'd guess this has already been done)...

      In his Shoffner discography of 2001, Klaus-Uwe Durr lists Bob firmly
      on "Coffin" and "Rambling" with "Lovie Austin or poss. Jesse
      Crump-organ". Are there any other records on which Lovie might play
      the organ?

      > I have just heard 'Coffin Blues' on RHJ with the limitations that source
      > suggests. I do not own this side nor its sessionmate 'Rambling
      Blues'. Maybe
      > somebody who has good copies of both could also comment ?

      I have "Coffin Blues"/"Rambling Blues" on LP 'Ida Cox' (BYG
      529.073)... Not sure about the quality, will make a point to listen
      sometime soon.

      John