Re: Small combo "hot" swing bands!

  • Robert Greenwood
    Message 1 of 33 , Sep 10, 2007
      No doubt the whole of our original enquirer's time is now taken up with
      acquiring and listening to CDs of all of the small band swing
      recommended to him in the past week or so. If I may add to his burden,
      I recommend he does not stop at the development of swing known
      as "bebop", which was not quite the revolution it was supposed to be
      according to jazz journalese, and investigate the recordings made for
      Dial and Savoy by Charlie Parker, the Guild and Musicraft recordings of
      Dizzy Gillespie, the Dexter Gordon recordings for Savoy and Dial, the
      Fats Navarro sides made for Savoy and Blue Note, Bud Powell's
      recordings for Roost and Blue Note, the Blue Note tracks by Thelonious
      Monk, and the sides issued on Capitol by Lennie Tristano's group, and
      the Miles Davis Nonet, and the Hollywood Stampede sessions by Coleman
      Hawkins and Howard McGhee. Oh, and the Aladdin sides by Lester Young,
      of course.
      Robert Greenwood
      Message 33 of 33 , Sep 15, 2007
        You will have to tell the problems --- I am confused as you find them
        'interesting'.

        Seminal in their iconoclasm, revealing the flaws in both.

        They are musical biographies, putting the music first, indulging in personal
        detail to illustrate the music.

        Bergreen I once picked up but replaced on the bookshop shelf after half a
        page. He is a musically ignorant professional biographer.