Re: [RedHotJazz] Dolly MIne, Was: Ida Cox's "Coffin Blues"

    Message 1 of 26 , Sep 10, 2007
      on 10/9/07 13:24, Michael Rader at Rader.Michael@... wrote:

      > Speaking of Bob Shoffner: By chance I was reading "The Essential Jazz Records
      > Vol.1" by Max Harrison, Charles Fox and Eric Thacker yesterday. The entry for
      > a double album by Luis Russell contains a note that a musician (I think Tommy
      > Benford) said that Dolly Jones played cornet in place of Shoffner on "Dolly
      > Mine" from the 17 November 1926 session by Russell's Heebie Jeebie Stompers.
      > Another chance for people to try their ears: Dolly is confirmed on an Albert
      > Wynn date (When, That Creole Band) and Shoffner is said to play on the other
      > three Heebie Jeebie Stompers. Now is it Dolly Jones?

      Benford, who be it noted was not there, made this claim to Laurie Wright in
      about 1982 [Storyville 100, p.125].

      "At the mention of Dolly Jones we asked Tommy how well he knew her and her
      style and he replied that if he heard her, he would recognise her."

      Laurie then played him Sweet Mumtaz/Dolly Mine without saying what it was.

      "Tommy immediately picked out the second title [Dolly Mine] as being by her
      but was adamant she was not on the other three".

      Presumably the other coupling was played after Tommy had identified Dolly on
      Dolly Mine.

      Tommy commented:

      "Dolly was as good as her mother [this is Diyaw Jones, who has no issued
      recordings as far as anyone knows], perhaps a little more advanced
      technically, but they were both very good. If you listen carefully, you'll
      hear the trumpet on the other three tracks is a little heavier than the one
      I'm sure is Dolly."

      This has to be taken seriously but I have never been able to convince myself
      and I know this is also the view of Chris Hillman, unless he has changed it.

      The tune probably is named for Dolly Jones.

      Message 2 of 26 , Sep 11, 2007
        Same trumpet on all four sides, no trace of Dolly. The style is attenuated
        Hot 5 Louis.

        As early as August/September 1925, on the Austin/Cox sides adjacent to
        'Coffin', Shoffner is already displaying Louis influence.

        On this evidence the trumpet on 'Coffin' is therefore too sparse to be him.

        Message 3 of 26 , Sep 12, 2007
          Just heard the Wynn Gut Bucket 5 'When' & 'That Creole Band' from 26 June
          1926, which are supposed bona fide Dolly Jones. The trumpet is very similar
          to supposed Shoffner on the Russell Heebie Jeebies sides and, on this
          evidence, very easy to confuse the two. Dolly is possibly more limited in
          technique and range.

          According to Rust, she appears nowhere else.

          What do we know about her and how was she placed on the Wynns ?

          Message 4 of 26 , Sep 12, 2007
            Gosh, don''t you love asking awkward questions David!

            References given in Blackstone's Index to Jazz for the personnel on the
            Wynns are Down Beat 1 January 1940, Jazz Information, 8 November 1940. The
            latter reference only establishes Barney Bigard's presence. Don't have the
            Down Beat.

            Wynn was in Europe in the 20s and 30s so could have been interviewed by
            discographers very early, but if so the personnel hadn't reached Schleman.

            Quick biographical summary:
            born Chicago, about 1906, began playing with family band led by her mother
            Diyaw, also a trumpeter, on the streets of St. Louis (famous because they
            recruited Josephine Baker as a dancer, see all biographies of La Baker).
            After Dolly's father died Tommy Benford joined them on drums. In 1922 she
            moved to Kansas City and worked with George James. With Ma Rainey in
            Chicago, 1925, recorded with Albert Wynn, 1926, toured with Ida Cox, 1928.
            Married Jimmy Hutchinson and used his name. Joined Walter Barnes, 1931. Own
            band, 12 Spirits of Rhythm, 1932; worked with Lil Armstrong later that year.
            By this time she had reverted to Jones, but shortly afterwards both she and
            her mother adopted the professional name Armenra (presumbly for the Egyptian
            gods). Appears in the 1936 film "Swing" billed as Doli Armena. [Move heaven
            and earth to see this if you can.] In 1937 member of Mezz Mezzrow's
            Disciples of Swing. Returned to Chicago 1938, worked again with Barnes. Led
            own all-female band in 1939. By August 1940 back in New York with Sammy
            Price's Blusicians, from 1943 in Eddie Durham's (otherwise) all-female band.
            Later career mysterious but she evidently continued to play and is known to
            have taken part in workshop bands with Eddie Barefield in the 70s.

            This is summarized from my own article on her in New Grove.

            Message 5 of 26 , Sep 12, 2007
              Many thanks as ever Howard. I'm saving up for a Grove.

              On the evidence of these two sides she was good and definitely the best
              female trumpeter, although little competition.

              As such she might have been expected to be good box office and one wonders
              then that the discography is so small.

              If not told this were Dolly, my ears would accept Shoffner. Like Shoffner,
              it is a fluent and flexible Louis derived style and this is quite early for
              such a manifestation. Does it sound like a woman ?

              Now where are we gonna find a 1st January 1940 Downbeat ? Anybody ?

            • loerchen2@aol.com
              Message 6 of 26 , Sep 12, 2007
                I can get to a 1940 DownBeat on Saturday, if no one finds one before that!

                Sue

                Message 7 of 26 , Sep 12, 2007
                  I would certainly argue the case for Valaida Snow against that "definitely
                  the best
                  female trumpeter" but I don't particularly want to. It's a rather small
                  sample and Valaida does have the advantage of being the only female horn
                  player of the vintage years to be allowed a discography of sufficient size
                  for proper judgement.

                  What would "sounding like a woman" sound like?

                  There are some pianists one might in various ways guess are women without
                  hearing their voices (Cleo Brown, Hadda Brooks, Rose Murphy) but horn
                  players? Would anyone know that Vi Burnside, probably the most significant
                  female horn player to make it on to record in the 78-era, was a woman,
                  without being told?

                  I really don't know the answer to this question.

                  Message 8 of 26 , Sep 12, 2007
                    Thanks Sue -- I don't think anybody is likely to beat you to it.

                    Howard. I love Valaida but the best trumpet on her sides is from Duncan
                    Whyte, Johnny Claes and possibly Harry Owen --- although I forget how good
                    he is.

                    Her chops are weak and maybe I wrongly attribute that to her sex. Leora
                    Henderson and Maxine Sullivan are the only other female brass players from
                    our period I can conjure. Anymore ?

                    The supposed Dolly is a few classes above which makes it very surprising
                    that she never re-appeared on record.

                  • howardrye
                    Message 9 of 26 , Sep 12, 2007
                      --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "David Brown"
                      <johnhaleysims@...> wrote:
                      > Howard. I love Valaida but the best trumpet on her sides is
                      from Duncan
                      > Whyte, Johnny Claes and possibly Harry Owen --- although I
                      forget how good
                      > he is.

                      This is a persistent and seemingly ineradicable myth
                      presumably originating in mere sexism. Periodically people
                      discover that not all the trumpet on Valaida's British records is by
                      her and even that she doesn't play at all on some of them. This
                      was perfectly well known at the time and solo orders sometimes
                      appear in contemporary reviews.

                      I did a complete breakdown of the solos for the Harlequin
                      Valaida set , which is republished in my Visiting Firemen article
                      in Storyville 1998-9. I don't claim it's 100% accurate (what is?)
                      but it is based on contemporary sources and aural comparison
                      using especially the trumpet playing which cannot be Valaida
                      because she is singing. Neither Whyte nor Owen was remotely
                      capable of producing the idiomatic playing heard on these
                      records. Claes is a lot better of course but on tracks where
                      they're both heard there's no difficulty in telling them apart.

                      To judge Valaida without this complication turn to the July 1940
                      Copenhagen session where she is the only trumpeter. Weak?
                      Give me strength! (But not as strong as Dolly maybe)
                    • Nick Dellow
                      Message 10 of 26 , Sep 12, 2007
                        Valaida is an utterly superb trumpet player, and is certainly "idiomatic" in
                        that she more or less conforms to the Armstrong idiom! But don't dismiss
                        that Whyte trumpeter - he's pretty good too, even if he did spend years
                        frustrated on the fringes. Incidentally, on one take of "Tiger Rag"
                        (Parlophone) Valaida can be heard just after the end of the music stating,
                        rather meekly, "Oh Shit!" I wonder why, as the performance that proceeds
                        the profanity seems praiseworthy.

                        Message 11 of 26 , Sep 12, 2007
                          --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "Nick Dellow"
                          <nick.dellow@...> wrote:

                          > Valaida is an utterly superb trumpet player, and is certainly
                          "idiomatic" in
                          > that she more or less conforms to the Armstrong idiom!

                          She wasn't dubbed "Little Louis" by her publicity machine for
                          nothing. And she described herself as "Satchmo's pupil". That's
                          certainly where she meant to position herself!
                          Message 12 of 26 , Sep 13, 2007
                            Howard & Nick

                            Very good to hear such enthusiasm for Valaida. My next task shall be to
                            re-visit the sides which I have on two WRC LPs and try and sort the
                            trumpets. Is not the 'Oh Shit' excised from these transcriptions ?

                            To be honest it's many moons since I heard these but , apart from Valaida's
                            singing, I remember the jewel in the crown to be Whyte, a very impressive
                            and quite original British trumpet stylist. Now where is there more of him ?
                            There were some fine British trumpeters at that time. Claes is perhaps a
                            shade too flashy. Owen escapes memory.

                            Is there a satisfactory Valaida CD ?

                            Dave

                            PS Ann Cooper on the Harlem Hamfats, rather a sad anti-climax after the
                            superb Morand.

                          • howardrye
                            Message 13 of 26 , Sep 13, 2007
                              <johnhaleysims@...> wrote:

                              > Is there a satisfactory Valaida CD ?

                              As far as I know, the Harlequin set which contains all the
                              European recordings is still available. This a product of
                              Interstate Music.

                              HQCD12 Volume 1 1935-1937
                              HQCD18 Volume 2 1935-1940

                              The reason for the overlap is the unissued Poor Butterfly from
                              the first session, a most interesting recording which wasn't
                              available when Volume 1 was issued.

                              If I say it as shouldn't these have very detailed and thorough
                              notes, by myself on the British recordings and by Morten
                              Clausen on the Scandinavian recordings. Morten is the
                              researcher who discovered the true story of her experiences in
                              occupied Denmark.

                              There is a Classics set but I'd be astounded if this isn't cloned
                              from the Harlequin and it certainly doesn't have the notes!
                            • Nick Dellow
                              Message 14 of 26 , Sep 13, 2007
                                Dear David,

                                I'm pretty sure the "Oh shit" has been deleted IF indeed WRC actually used
                                that take (it is take 1 - take three is "clean" as it were!). I no longer
                                have the LPs - prefer listening to the 78s!

                                As for Duncan Whyte, he didn't visit the recording studios too often. He was
                                a member of Billy Mason's band at the time of the Valaida recordings and of
                                course it is Mason's band that backs her on the earlier Parlophone sessions
                                (being replaced by a studio band under the control of George Scott Wood,
                                which is nowhere near as good as Mason's outfit despite the presence of
                                Freddy Gardner). Mason's band also recorded sans Valaida a few months later
                                (for Decca), and Whyte is heavily featured on all four sides, as is Buddy
                                Featherstonhaugh.

                                Featherstonhaugh is another soloist on those earlier Valaida sides that
                                should be singled out for praise. And he's another rare visitor to the
                                studios, I suspect because he was a poor reader. He re-surfaces in the 1940s
                                but I must say that I find his efforts on these later recordings to be poor
                                compared to his playing in the early to mid 1930s. He spent much of the
                                post-war years dabbling with racing cars!

                                Whyte toured with his own sextet for ENSA during the war and worked with
                                Harry Gold after the war, but I haven't heard any recordings. In the later
                                1940s he formed another band that played residencies in his native Scotland
                                (like George Chisholm, he hailed from Glasgow - another fiery Scot!). In the
                                1950s and 1960s, he freelanced around the UK and was leading a Dixieland
                                band until shortly before his death in 1988 (he even had a short stint as a
                                DJ in Ayr in the early 1970s!).

                                Nick

                                Message 15 of 26 , Sep 13, 2007
                                  So what is the true story about Denmark? Most sources say she was in a concentration camp for a year and a half before she was exchanged , presumably for prisoners-of-war. But Wikipedia states that she was imprisoned due to theft and posession of drugs. You could of course tell us all to buy the Harlequin CDs, which are indeed still around. Apart from the Classics which are partly priced ridiculously, there is also a DRG double album usually available from US sources at low prices.

                                  The WRC does have take 1 of Tiger Rag and there is a voice to be heard at the end, although this is faded.

                                  Michael Rader

                                  (Howard Rye):
                                  > If I say it as shouldn't these have very detailed and thorough
                                  > notes, by myself on the British recordings and by Morten
                                  > Clausen on the Scandinavian recordings. Morten is the
                                  > researcher who discovered the true story of her experiences in
                                  > occupied Denmark.

                                  Jetzt testen! http://produkte.web.de/club/?mc=021130
                                • Nick Dellow
                                  Message 16 of 26 , Sep 13, 2007
                                    I expect the concentration camp episode will be discussed in detail in Mark
                                    Miller's new biography "High Hat, Trumpet, and Rhythm: The Life and Music of
                                    Valaida Snow", which will be out next month.

                                    One can pre-order this at Amazon, and no doubt other such Internet sites (as
                                    well as bookshops of course!).

                                    Miller's previous work includes the excellent "Some Hustling This: Taking
                                    Jazz to the World, 1914-1929".

                                    Nick

                                    On 13/09/2007, Michael Rader <Rader.Michael@...> wrote:

                                    > So what is the true story about Denmark? Most sources say she was in a
                                    > concentration camp for a year and a half before she was exchanged ,
                                    > presumably for prisoners-of-war. But Wikipedia states that she was
                                    > imprisoned due to theft and posession of drugs. You could of course tell us
                                    > all to buy the Harlequin CDs, which are indeed still around. Apart from the
                                    > Classics which are partly priced ridiculously, there is also a DRG double
                                    > album usually available from US sources at low prices.
                                    >
                                    > The WRC does have take 1 of Tiger Rag and there is a voice to be heard at
                                    > the end, although this is faded.
                                    >
                                    > Michael Rader
                                    >
                                    > (Howard Rye):
                                    > > If I say it as shouldn't these have very detailed and thorough
                                    > > notes, by myself on the British recordings and by Morten
                                    > > Clausen on the Scandinavian recordings. Morten is the
                                    > > researcher who discovered the true story of her experiences in
                                    > > occupied Denmark.

                                  • howardrye
                                    Message 17 of 26 , Sep 13, 2007
                                      <nick.dellow@...> wrote:

                                      > I expect the concentration camp episode will be discussed in
                                      detail in Mark
                                      > Miller's new biography "High Hat, Trumpet, and Rhythm: The
                                      Life and Music of
                                      > Valaida Snow", which will be out next month.

                                      I'm sure you're right about that but in the meantime let's just say
                                      that the Wikipedia story is essentially correct and she never was
                                      in any concentration camp.

                                      Before anyone re-listens to the British sides and convinces
                                      themselves that her solos "couldn't possibly be played by a
                                      woman" and therefore must be by Duncan Whyte or the Angel
                                      Gabriel or someone, may I recommend two other comparisions
                                      on which she is the only trumpeter.

                                      First Jacques Bureau's private recording of her playing 'St. Louis
                                      Blues' with Django at the Moulin de la Galette on 30 June 1938.
                                      This is on Volume 8 of Frémeaux's 'Intégrale Django Reinhardt'
                                      (FA308).

                                      The other is no doubt more difficult: her film appearance with Joe
                                      Turner at the piano in Robert Diodmak's 1939 film Pièges. This
                                      was available on VHS from FilmOffice, who may or may not have
                                      transferred it to DVD.

                                      This is Valaida's only pre-war film appearance. Despite virtually
                                      all books on jazz film (copying one another though sometimes
                                      claiming to have seen it) she is not in Pierre Chenel's 1936
                                      melodrama L'Alibi. The Bobby Martin band does appear in this
                                      film and the singer Thelma Minor is credited but is only seen
                                      briefly with the band; her vocal evidently having hit the
                                      cutting-room floor.
                                    • Nick Dellow
                                      Message 18 of 26 , Sep 13, 2007
                                        A documentary available on youtube is of interest (despite the sync
                                        problems!). It includes brief clips of her playing the trumpet. The link is
                                        as follows:-

                                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6e7ye-fiJA

                                        Nick

                                        On 13/09/2007, howardrye <howard@...> wrote:

                                        > --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com <RedHotJazz%40yahoogroups.com>, "Nick
                                        > Dellow"
                                        > <nick.dellow@...> wrote:
                                        > >
                                        > > I expect the concentration camp episode will be discussed in
                                        > detail in Mark
                                        > > Miller's new biography "High Hat, Trumpet, and Rhythm: The
                                        > Life and Music of
                                        > > Valaida Snow", which will be out next month.
                                        >
                                        > I'm sure you're right about that but in the meantime let's just say
                                        > that the Wikipedia story is essentially correct and she never was
                                        > in any concentration camp.
                                        >
                                        > Before anyone re-listens to the British sides and convinces
                                        > themselves that her solos "couldn't possibly be played by a
                                        > woman" and therefore must be by Duncan Whyte or the Angel
                                        > Gabriel or someone, may I recommend two other comparisions
                                        > on which she is the only trumpeter.
                                        >
                                        > First Jacques Bureau's private recording of her playing 'St. Louis
                                        > Blues' with Django at the Moulin de la Galette on 30 June 1938.
                                        > This is on Volume 8 of Frémeaux's 'Intégrale Django Reinhardt'
                                        > (FA308).
                                        >
                                        > The other is no doubt more difficult: her film appearance with Joe
                                        > Turner at the piano in Robert Diodmak's 1939 film Pièges. This
                                        > was available on VHS from FilmOffice, who may or may not have
                                        > transferred it to DVD.
                                        >
                                        > This is Valaida's only pre-war film appearance. Despite virtually
                                        > all books on jazz film (copying one another though sometimes
                                        > claiming to have seen it) she is not in Pierre Chenel's 1936
                                        > melodrama L'Alibi. The Bobby Martin band does appear in this
                                        > film and the singer Thelma Minor is credited but is only seen
                                        > briefly with the band; her vocal evidently having hit the
                                        > cutting-room floor.

                                      • Olivier Douville
                                        Message 19 of 26 , Sep 14, 2007
                                          Help ! I need somme informations bout the life of the drummer and singer
                                          Olie Power (born where and when ? dead where and when ? ) Thanks a lot

                                          OD.
                                          Message 20 of 26 , Sep 14, 2007
                                            According to his draft card (5 June 1917), he was born in Louisville,
                                            Kentucky on 11 October 1887, vaudeville actor of 5555 Vincennes, Chicago.

                                            In the 1920 census, he is recorded as aged 33, born in Kentucky, "Singer,
                                            Theatre". The household at 512 (or possibly 4512) Vincennes Avenue also
                                            contains his wife May and 9 roomers, none of them musicians or show people.

                                            Message 21 of 26 , Sep 14, 2007
                                              Thanks a lot. Have a good day

                                              <mailto:douvilleolivier%40noos.fr> wrote:

                                              Help ! I need somme informations bout the life of the drummer and singer
                                              Olie Power (born where and when ? dead where and when ? ) Thanks a lot

                                              howard@... <mailto:howard%40coppermill.demon.co.uk>

                                              Olivier Douville

                                              Directeur de publication de PSYCHOLOGIE CLINIQUE

                                              22, rue de la Tour d'Auvergne 75009 Paris
                                              tel : 06 77 69 24 51

                                              douvilleolivier@...

                                              liens
                                              http://www.dunod.com/pages/ouvrages/ficheouvrage.asp?id=49180
                                              http://www.psycho-ressources.com/olivier-douville.html

                                            • Albert Haim
                                              Message 22 of 26 , Sep 14, 2007
                                                Olivier,

                                                Here is a page with some bibliographic references to Ollie Powers.

                                                http://www.messier81.com/olp3.html

                                                Amicalement,

                                                Albert

                                                --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, Olivier Douville

                                                Message 23 of 26 , Sep 14, 2007
                                                  Interesting, though not especially unusual, that the family - see previous
                                                  webpage <http://www.messier81.com/olp1.html> - believe he was a year older
                                                  than the birth date on his draft card. They have the same birthday so we can
                                                  be pretty sure the draft card is the right person.

                                                  The tragically early death at least explains why he can't be found in the
                                                  1930 census.

                                                  on 14/9/07 17:05, Albert Haim at alberthaim@... wrote:

                                                  Olivier,

                                                  Here is a page with some bibliographic references to Ollie Powers.

                                                  http://www.messier81.com/olp3.html

                                                  Amicalement,

                                                  Albert

                                                  --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com <mailto:RedHotJazz%40yahoogroups.com> ,
                                                  Olivier Douville

                                                  Message 24 of 26 , Sep 15, 2007
                                                    I have returned to Valaida's UK sides after many years and withdraw my
                                                    previous 'weak chops'. Valaida was, however, essaying a trumpet style
                                                    closely modelled on that of bravura Louis and it must be observed that her
                                                    technique was not always equal to this extreme challenge.

                                                    The 1935 sides with Billy Mason and Duncan Whyte are, as Nick observed, her
                                                    best in UK and if it is possible to claim Whyte more than her peer --- as
                                                    regards technique and originality --- he was not for swing, still revealing
                                                    a British stiffness. However, his solo on 'Singing In The Rain' is
                                                    remarkable for its conception and originality and I cannot think of a better
                                                    contemporary European trumpeter. Anybody ? The 1936 sides show Valaida less
                                                    technically sure but the 1937 sides, in places, show fine bravura trumpet. I
                                                    also particularly cite a splendid lyrical solo on 'Sweet Heartache'. Close
                                                    comparative listening to Johnny Claes reveals to me that he was not capable
                                                    of the solos he has sometimes been attributed on these sides.

                                                    But it is her singing rather than her playing that make these sides
                                                    memorable. Her singing, as her playing, always swung and she is at her best
                                                    on up tempo numbers where her scatting is delightful. There is a tendency,
                                                    however, prevalent at this period even among greater singers, to over-emote
                                                    on ballads.

                                                    These sides also reveal the high standards reached among some British
                                                    musicians at this time.

                                                    I thoroughly recommend these sides to all lovers of hot jazz, swing and good
                                                    popular song. But, to put this in context, I must also mention, as in a
                                                    different league, the similar contemporary recordings of Billie Holiday.

                                                    Dave

                                                    PS Have the Billy Mason Deccas with Whyte ever been re-issued ?

                                                    Message 25 of 26 , Sep 16, 2007
                                                      Two of them were issued in the 80s on Decca RFLD 28, Hits Of The 30s Vol.II,
                                                      a double LP set which is probably by now as rare as the 78s!

                                                      PS Have the Billy Mason Deccas with Whyte ever been re-issued ?