Re: [RedHotJazz] Small combo "hot" swing bands!

    Message 1 of 33 , Sep 10 5:10 AM
      Did it really need reviving? I used to trade records with a (then) elderly North American collector who was interested in Django style music and was amazed to discover the number of groups and musicians active in the field. There are quite a few in Germany - the late Schnuckenack Reinhardt who lived near here (Karlsruhe) was a kind of doyen, and there are Django-style groups everywhere from Norway to San Francisco. Djangophiles even had/have their own journals.

      Just as interesting to my ears is the musette revival with groups like les Primitifs du Futur, which features as its best known member the cartoonist R. Crumb, but it also includes the well-known alto saxophonist Daniel Huck. A web search revealed that San Francisco is now sporting its own musette group.

      Michael Rader

      > There has been a recent "revival" of the so-called
      > Gypsy Swing, with what I would call great technicians who are not *all* good
      > musicians IMO, however fast and loud they can play; but also a number of
      > "greats", and very clever insertion of the style into their music by good
      > and comparatevely young French singers. Besides large festivals like Samois,
      > many obscure groups have always kept playing that music in small caf├ęs like,
      > for instance, the one hidden in the midlle of the StOuen/Clignancourt flea
      > market touching the north of Paris. I do not like exaggerated and
      > enthusiastic statements, but in this case I think it is not an exaggeration
      > to say that Django's music is still alive here ;-)
      >
      > Patrice

      In 5 Schritten zur eigenen Homepage. Jetzt Domain sichern und gestalten!
      Nur 3,99 EUR/Monat! http://www.maildomain.web.de/?mc=021114
      Message 33 of 33 , Sep 15 8:36 AM
        You will have to tell the problems --- I am confused as you find them
        'interesting'.

        Seminal in their iconoclasm, revealing the flaws in both.

        They are musical biographies, putting the music first, indulging in personal
        detail to illustrate the music.

        Bergreen I once picked up but replaced on the bookshop shelf after half a
        page. He is a musically ignorant professional biographer.