Re: [RedHotJazz] Re: How pop tunes came into the standard Dixieland repertoire

  • Olivier Douville
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 7, 2007
      Hello folks according to you who played on the cornet in the ida Cox's
      "Coffin blues" recording ?
      thanks, best regards to all of you`
      OD

      --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com <mailto:RedHotJazz%40yahoogroups.com> ,
      Michael Rader <Rader.Michael@...>
      wrote:
      >Wasn't Jazz also pop music at one time?

      Bill Thieme
      > The very earliest jazz recordings included many songs from the
      popular repertoire - one need only think of the ODJB's "Indiana"
      and "Darktown Strutters' Ball", long thought to have been the first
      jazz recording ever. The ODJB subsequently recorded much material
      from the "popular side" of the repertoire (including "Singing the
      Blues", and is Margie a popular song or a jazz standard?). Another
      well-known example is "Jada", which was recorded by both Wilbur
      Sweatman and the New Orleans Jazz Band.

      > Michael Rader
      >

      > > -----Urspr√ľngliche Nachricht-----
      Dixieland repertoire

      > > The music surely always drew on a fairly wide repertoire? The
      1942
      > > Bunk Johnson Jazz Information session has him playing some, by
      then,
      > > quite archaic songs drawn from popular music: When I Leave the
      World
      > > Behind, Big Chief Battleaxe, and Brown Eyes Goodbye,
      misremembered by
      > > Bunk as Bluebells Goodbye. His 1946 American Music session with
      Don
      > > Ewell and Alphonse Steele includes renditions of I'll Take You
      > > Again, Kathleen and In the Gloaming.
      > > Robert Greenwood.
      > >
      > > --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com <mailto:RedHotJazz%40yahoogroups.com> ,
      "David W. Littlefield"
      <dwlit@>

      --

      Olivier Douville

      Directeur de publication de PSYCHOLOGIE CLINIQUE

      22, rue de la Tour d'Auvergne 75009 Paris
      tel : 06 77 69 24 51

      douvilleolivier@...

      liens
      http://www.dunod.com/pages/ouvrages/ficheouvrage.asp?id=49180