Re: [RedHotJazz] Small combo "hot" swing bands!

    Message 1 of 33 , Sep 6, 2007
      If you like swing violin playing, there were recordings by Eddie South and Stuff Smith. A nice review of the former's early career is to be found on the British Frog label, the latter's 1930s recordings are on a recent CD from the HEP label. The latter label also has some nice compilations: CD 1077 New York Jazz Combos, CD 1065 and 1066 Sounds of Harlem Vols. 1 and 2 (only available separately. Otherwise, the two studio groups already mentioned are well-worth getting, i.e. Teddy Wilson's, nowadays best on 6 HEP CDs, and Lionel Hampton's, which are to be reissued later this year in a limited edition box from Mosaic records.

      If you prefer used CDs from e-bay, I can recommend a British series called "Jazz Greats" which have superb audio restoration and frequently are to be found on UK ebay. There are several single-artist CDs and a number of samplers, e.g. a "52nd Street".

      Michael Rader

      In 5 Schritten zur eigenen Homepage. Jetzt Domain sichern und gestalten!
      Nur 3,99 EUR/Monat! http://www.maildomain.web.de/?mc=021114
      Message 33 of 33 , Sep 15, 2007
        You will have to tell the problems --- I am confused as you find them
        'interesting'.

        Seminal in their iconoclasm, revealing the flaws in both.

        They are musical biographies, putting the music first, indulging in personal
        detail to illustrate the music.

        Bergreen I once picked up but replaced on the bookshop shelf after half a
        page. He is a musically ignorant professional biographer.