Re: [RedHotJazz] Small combo "hot" swing bands!

  • Olivier Douville
    Message 1 of 33 , Sep 6, 2007
      And all the combos issued forme the Duke Ellington band (lead by C.
      Williams, B. BIgard, J. Hodges, or R. Stewart) The must.

      OD

      le 6/09/07 18:12, David Brown à johnhaleysims@...
      <mailto:johnhaleysims%40yahoo.co.uk> a écrit :

      SMALL SWING BAND : I like also the Music of the sextet of the bassist J.
      Kirby (with
      Charlie Shavers, Buster Bailey and Russel Procope). Sammy price makes fine
      records too with Lester Young. Sometimes the music played by Adrian Rollini
      and his fellows musicians playoing in his "club" the Tap Room is exquisite
      (with Freddy Jenkins or Ward Pinkett). Chick Webb had a small combo "The
      litlle chicks" with a nice flutist (Haughton) and which gave him a gerat
      latitutde to plays on the drums (a wonderfull version of "Sewet sue"). Many
      other records I presume. Don't forget the works of one of the pianist of
      Lady day Eddie Heywwod he picks up fine groups around 1940. And also may be
      you should appreciate the records made by Frankie Newton with members of his
      Onyx Club band (including Tab Smith).
      I just like jazz music but I ain't a really connaisseur and I have to learn
      plenty 'bout other combos.

      Minor Swing (Django et Stef) is really "hot" (1937 version)

      OD

      Django and QHCF were totally unique but not exactly 'hot' and, despite some
      desultory attempts to imitate, there is nothing like them in the canon of
      our music. They are distinctly European and original although traceable to
      some Venuti/Lang influence.

      Otherwise there is so much small band swing to recommend. Most of the big
      bands had small bands within :- Ellington, Basie ( KC5/7), Chick Webb,
      Goodman, Herman, Crosby, Dorsey etc etc.

      The sides made under the leadership of Red Allen, Wingie Manone, Louis Prima
      and Stuff Smith and the vast catalogues of both Fats Waller and Louis Jordan
      contain much superb music. Also pick-up bands under the names of Teddy
      Wilson, Lionel Hampton, Coleman Hawkins, Chu Berry, Roy Eldridge, Lips Page
      and Bunny Berigan. Also the sides made in Paris by Bill Coleman & Dicky
      Wells.

      And many sides recorded by vocalists with superb small band accompaniments:-
      Billie Holliday, Ella Fitzgerald, Mildred Bailey, Lee Wiley, Maxine
      Sullivan.

      Also the 'tight-arsed' John Kirby Sextet which, with its 'classical'
      material and metronomic chug, may actually be the closest thing during this
      period to the music of the QHCF.

      Outside this period I reckon the Braff/Barnes Quartet came nearest to this
      aesthetic

      Olivier Douville

      Directeur de publication de PSYCHOLOGIE CLINIQUE

      22, rue de la Tour d'Auvergne 75009 Paris
      tel : 06 77 69 24 51

      douvilleolivier@...

      liens
      http://www.dunod.com/pages/ouvrages/ficheouvrage.asp?id=49180
      http://www.psycho-ressources.com/olivier-douville.html

      Message 33 of 33 , Sep 15, 2007
        You will have to tell the problems --- I am confused as you find them
        'interesting'.

        Seminal in their iconoclasm, revealing the flaws in both.

        They are musical biographies, putting the music first, indulging in personal
        detail to illustrate the music.

        Bergreen I once picked up but replaced on the bookshop shelf after half a
        page. He is a musically ignorant professional biographer.