Re: [RedHotJazz] Re: How pop tunes came into the stand ard Dixieland repertoire

    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 6, 2007
      The very earliest jazz recordings included many songs from the popular repertoire - one need only think of the ODJB's "Indiana" and "Darktown Strutters' Ball", long thought to have been the first jazz recording ever. The ODJB subsequently recorded much material from the "popular side" of the repertoire (including "Singing the Blues", and is Margie a popular song or a jazz standard?). Another well-known example is "Jada", which was recorded by both Wilbur Sweatman and the New Orleans Jazz Band.

      Michael Rader

    • bill thieme
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 6, 2007
        --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, Michael Rader <Rader.Michael@...>
        wrote:
        >Wasn't Jazz also pop music at one time?

        Bill Thieme
        > The very earliest jazz recordings included many songs from the
        popular repertoire - one need only think of the ODJB's "Indiana"
        and "Darktown Strutters' Ball", long thought to have been the first
        jazz recording ever. The ODJB subsequently recorded much material
        from the "popular side" of the repertoire (including "Singing the
        Blues", and is Margie a popular song or a jazz standard?). Another
        well-known example is "Jada", which was recorded by both Wilbur
        Sweatman and the New Orleans Jazz Band.

        > Michael Rader

      • Olivier Douville
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 7, 2007
          Hello folks according to you who played on the cornet in the ida Cox's
          "Coffin blues" recording ?
          thanks, best regards to all of you`
          OD

          --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com <mailto:RedHotJazz%40yahoogroups.com> ,
          wrote:
          >Wasn't Jazz also pop music at one time?

          Bill Thieme
          > The very earliest jazz recordings included many songs from the
          popular repertoire - one need only think of the ODJB's "Indiana"
          and "Darktown Strutters' Ball", long thought to have been the first
          jazz recording ever. The ODJB subsequently recorded much material
          from the "popular side" of the repertoire (including "Singing the
          Blues", and is Margie a popular song or a jazz standard?). Another
          well-known example is "Jada", which was recorded by both Wilbur
          Sweatman and the New Orleans Jazz Band.

          > Michael Rader

          "David W. Littlefield"
          <dwlit@>

          --

          Olivier Douville

          Directeur de publication de PSYCHOLOGIE CLINIQUE

          22, rue de la Tour d'Auvergne 75009 Paris
          tel : 06 77 69 24 51

          douvilleolivier@...

          liens
          http://www.dunod.com/pages/ouvrages/ficheouvrage.asp?id=49180