Re: How pop tunes came into the standard Dixieland repertoire

  • Robert Greenwood
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 6, 2007
      The music surely always drew on a fairly wide repertoire? The 1942
      Bunk Johnson Jazz Information session has him playing some, by then,
      quite archaic songs drawn from popular music: When I Leave the World
      Behind, Big Chief Battleaxe, and Brown Eyes Goodbye, misremembered by
      Bunk as Bluebells Goodbye. His 1946 American Music session with Don
      Ewell and Alphonse Steele includes renditions of I'll Take You Home
      Again, Kathleen and In the Gloaming.
      Robert Greenwood.

      --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "David W. Littlefield" <dwlit@...>
      wrote:

      > Hi Gang. How did key pop tunes come into the standard Dixieland
      repertoire?
      > Who introduced 'em, or made 'em popular enough so that dixielanders
      > adopted 'em?
      >
      > It's a reasonable assumption that "Memories of you", for example,
      > came in via the Benny Goodman Quartet. Did "Sweet Sue" come in via
      > Jimmie Noone's Apex Club
      > orch.?
      > Etc. Etc. Etc.
      >
      > Speaking of Noone, I keep forgetting just how wonderful many of his
      > records were. I looked in Worlds Records yesterday and found two 4-
      CD sets