Re: [RedHotJazz] How pop tunes came into the standard Dixieland repertoire

  • David W. Littlefield
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 5, 2007
      Hi Howard. That's the kind of thing I want to determine for as many
      tunes as I can. I assume it depends on what musicians were listening
      to, what grabbed 'em, what besides personal taste caused the tunes to
      become part of the *tradition*, hence to be played regularly for decades.

      Thanks.
      --Sheik

      At 04:11 PM 09/05/07, you wrote:
      >on 5/9/07 20:31, David W. Littlefield at
      ><mailto:dwlit%40patriot.net>dwlit@... wrote:
      >
      >It's a reasonable assumption that "Memories of you", for example, came in
      >via the Benny Goodman Quartet.
      >~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`
      >Wouldn't Louis Armstrong's October 1930 version be a better guess?
      >
      >Howard Rye, 20 Coppermill Lane, London, England, E17 7HB
      ><mailto:howard%40coppermill.demon.co.uk>howard@...
      >Tel/FAX: +44 20 8521 1098
    • Robert Greenwood
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 6, 2007
        The music surely always drew on a fairly wide repertoire? The 1942
        Bunk Johnson Jazz Information session has him playing some, by then,
        quite archaic songs drawn from popular music: When I Leave the World
        Behind, Big Chief Battleaxe, and Brown Eyes Goodbye, misremembered by
        Bunk as Bluebells Goodbye. His 1946 American Music session with Don
        Ewell and Alphonse Steele includes renditions of I'll Take You Home
        Again, Kathleen and In the Gloaming.
        Robert Greenwood.

        --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "David W. Littlefield" <dwlit@...>
        wrote:

        > Hi Gang. How did key pop tunes come into the standard Dixieland
        repertoire?
        > Who introduced 'em, or made 'em popular enough so that dixielanders
        > adopted 'em?
        >
        > It's a reasonable assumption that "Memories of you", for example,
        > came in via the Benny Goodman Quartet. Did "Sweet Sue" come in via
        > Jimmie Noone's Apex Club
        > orch.?
        > Etc. Etc. Etc.
        >
        > Speaking of Noone, I keep forgetting just how wonderful many of his
        > records were. I looked in Worlds Records yesterday and found two 4-
        CD sets