How pop tunes came into the standard Dixieland repertoire

  • David W. Littlefield
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 5, 2007
      Hi Gang. How did key pop tunes come into the standard Dixieland repertoire?
      Who introduced 'em, or made 'em popular enough so that dixielanders
      adopted 'em?

      It's a reasonable assumption that "Memories of you", for example,
      came in via the Benny Goodman Quartet. Did "Sweet Sue" come in via
      Jimmie Noone's Apex Club
      orch.?
      Etc. Etc. Etc.

      Speaking of Noone, I keep forgetting just how wonderful many of his
      records were. I looked in Worlds Records yesterday and found two 4-CD sets
      l. JSP (selected works incl. Noone as side person)
      2. Definitive (complete works, ie records under his name)

      --Sheik
      http://americanmusiccaravan.com
      "20s-30s Fake Book" coming soon!
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 5, 2007
        on 5/9/07 20:31, David W. Littlefield at dwlit@... wrote:

        It's a reasonable assumption that "Memories of you", for example, came in
        via the Benny Goodman Quartet.

        Wouldn't Louis Armstrong's October 1930 version be a better guess?

      • David W. Littlefield
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 5, 2007
          Hi Howard. That's the kind of thing I want to determine for as many
          tunes as I can. I assume it depends on what musicians were listening
          to, what grabbed 'em, what besides personal taste caused the tunes to
          become part of the *tradition*, hence to be played regularly for decades.

          Thanks.
          --Sheik

          At 04:11 PM 09/05/07, you wrote:
          >on 5/9/07 20:31, David W. Littlefield at
          ><mailto:dwlit%40patriot.net>dwlit@... wrote:
          >
          >It's a reasonable assumption that "Memories of you", for example, came in
          >via the Benny Goodman Quartet.
          >~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`
          >Wouldn't Louis Armstrong's October 1930 version be a better guess?
          >
          >Howard Rye, 20 Coppermill Lane, London, England, E17 7HB
          ><mailto:howard%40coppermill.demon.co.uk>howard@...
          >Tel/FAX: +44 20 8521 1098
        • Robert Greenwood
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 6, 2007
            The music surely always drew on a fairly wide repertoire? The 1942
            Bunk Johnson Jazz Information session has him playing some, by then,
            quite archaic songs drawn from popular music: When I Leave the World
            Behind, Big Chief Battleaxe, and Brown Eyes Goodbye, misremembered by
            Bunk as Bluebells Goodbye. His 1946 American Music session with Don
            Ewell and Alphonse Steele includes renditions of I'll Take You Home
            Again, Kathleen and In the Gloaming.
            Robert Greenwood.

            --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "David W. Littlefield" <dwlit@...>