Re: [RedHotJazz] Thanks, Dan

  • Dan Van Landingham
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 25, 2007
      I wish that I could get 78s for 25 cents.I haven't seen 78s that cheap since the early 1970s.There was this one secondhand store located in Coos Bay,Oregon-H&H Furniture,that I bought records there at a time when I paid a dime for them.It folded in the late 1970s.78s are not that easy to come by now.There was this junky thrift store in downtown North Bend,Oregon(my adopted hometown)in the late '80s and they had alot of 78s but they were of much later vintage.If you are talking about the 78s-and 80s,from the teens through the late
      '20s onward(no later than 1935)they are just about gone.A few months ago,at A Salvation Army thrift store in Coos Bay,I did see an old Columbia(the circa 1915-25 discs I told you about in the blue and gold "popular series")recording of ,I believe,"Sugar Foot Stomp" by
      Fletcher Henderson's Orchestra.I have more of Henderson on either LP or CD.I snap up 78s
      when I see them then cull them later.I don't have the collection I once had:my sister sold off alot of my records when I made a shortlived move to Texas.Much of the records were junk.
      I did,from time to time,find some winners;back in 1978 Coos Bay,Oregon's oldest radio station,KOOS,went off the air after 49 years on the air.Shortly afterward,the owner of the station,Ed Keim,sold off the collection of 78s at a quarter each.I bought a few but in 1994,
      a shop that used to sell and service juke boxes and pinball machines.The new owner,Martin Dodd,bought the shop and one day he was in the back and discovered several thousand 78s.
      I bought about $150 worth.One find was a 1936 Victor recording of the song "Goodnight My Love" by Benny Goodman.The label just said "with vocal refrain" but the singer was Ella Fitzgerald.Ella Fitzgerald sang in the Chick Webb band.Webb was under contract to the Decca label and because of recording contract laws,the bandsinger was automatically under contract the leader signed with whatever company.When the Goodman recording came out,Decca threatened a lawsuit.Victor recalled what sides they could but they didn't get all of them.I picked that one recording plus another from that same date that rounded out the session.Unfortunately,there were some of those recordings that were in mint condition on one side and worn clear out on the reverse.Unfortunately,there was alot of those corny bands referred to in jazz circles as "Mickey Mouse " bands":Guy Lombardo,Sammy Kaye,Lawrence Welk(on the Vocalion label circa 1939-40),Jan Garber,Kay Kyser and countless others.You just have to
      look and if you see a 4,5,10 or 12 record set of 78s anywhere from $5 to $10,grab it if you see it.Don't take the attitude I did once of thinking that there are only squares out there and the few,hep collectors aren't there.They are and I remember taking some of the ones I found and hid them.They were gone but I did find other copies of the same record.So the old adage of "Strike while the iron is hot" applies here.If you see a few that catch your eyes,buy them.Better you and them.I paid out a dollar each for
      those that came from Martin Dodd's shop formerly known as the "Sunset Automatic Music Company".Back in or around 1965 or '66,I used to buy alot of 45s from there and I was able to build a collection of jazz that ran the gamut from reissued big band swing by Benny Goodman,Tommy Dorsey and others to circa 1954-56 West Coast cool by Chet Baker,Gerry Mulligan and others.I also built up my collection of early '50s rhythm and blues and rock and roll in the same place.Again,if you see it,buy it.Those were also in like new condition.I gave a dime for some of them and the last time I bought those 45s was back in 1974.Martin still has alot of 45s there that are in mint condition.I also hit him up for a couple of speakers that I remember seeing in various cafes and restaurants back around 1961 or so.Come to think of it,I want to hit him of for a couple of speakers to replace those in a set of speakers.Also,there were labels from the '20s through the '40s that were owned by the likes
      of Montgomery Ward and Sears and Roebuck.The Montgomery Ward records were "Montgomery Ward",and I believe that RCA leased their masters to them.Sears records were under the "Silvertone" label(in gold and the artists worked for the company)but later on,Sears leased masters from the American Record Corporation.Remember I told you how that company came about.I had a biography of the trumpeter Bunny Berigan and the writer told of several others labels that were owned by department stores.The Romeo label was owned,if I remember right,by the W.T.Grant chain.In the '30s and '40s,Firestone Tire and Rubber had a line of radios and phonographs called "Air Chief".Firestone leased their masters from independent companies like Elite Records and quite possibly Hit Records,Varsity Records and God knows who else.Air Chief-Firestone's label was "Philharmonic" label.I had a few of those and they didn't list the artist.I can go on and on on this because as late as the 1950s,there were all
      kinds of economy labels."TOPS" was the best known and you knew who the artists were:on Value,the artists were not listed.TOPS was started by a record man named Bob Shad who started the Black and White labe in 1945 and in the late '50s-early '60s,he started TIME Records.Last month I lost a dear friend,Al Hendrickson,a well known session guitarist in the Hollywood studios,was on this one album as were two more that I knew personally,"Skeets" Herfurt,alto sax,flute,clarinet,whom I had known from 1982 until his death at 80 in 1992.Skeets worked for the Dorseys,Alvino Rey and countless others and John Best,trumpeter for Artie Shaw and Glenn Miller.He did a couple of years ago.I had known him since 1978.In the very early sixties,TOPS Records and countless other brands could be bought for as little as fifty nine to ninety-nine cents.I have alot of them and found some real gems.One was the DESIGN label and they had LPs that were also leased from other companies.I have a Dorsey
      Brothers LP that had music from the 1934-35 edition of that band.These sides were originally sold by a company that sold major big band artists who recorded for the Radio transcriptions.Those sides were issued in the '30s under pseudonyms.In their case,those records released as being by the "Daly Brothers Orchestra".
      I'll talk about this some other time.Have fun.

      judy ross <judyegr@...> wrote:
      Wow! I am going to keep a copy of your post with my 78's so I can make
      notes about them. I do not buy anything, however, that is advertised
      as antique or rare. I paid $1.00 for the book of 10 78's at a resale
      shop. The most I ever pay is 25 cents each. Right now I have a stack
      of 78's that I need to clean up. They were found on a shelf in a barn
      by a friend from high school. They're actually in pretty good
      shape...just a little bit of chicken residue and dirt. I haven't
      looked at the titles closely yet, but the top one is Hank Williams "I'm
      So Lonesome I Could Cry". I think I cut my first tooth listening to
      that one. Thanks for all the information about the 78's. Most of my
      Glenn Miller, Dorseys, and big band stuff is on LP's, but I love it
      when I come across a good 78. I have a few hundred CD's, but it just
      isn't the same as playing a record on my console. I still like to make
      the walls shake with bass.(drowns out my singing)
      Judy Ross