Re: [RedHotJazz] The British "trad jazz" scene

  • Dan Van Landingham
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 22, 2007
      Thank you for all the information.Lonnie Donegan I do remember because back in the early sixties,he had a hit with a record called "Does Your Chewing Gum Lose its' Flavour On the Bedpost(Over Night).I think the year was either 1962 or '63.I know that the Europeans have always taken jazz,regardless of type,more seriously.Leave it to the Europeans to give me what discographic information I need.I am a musician by the way.I play a Red Nichols style of cornet(I will do dixieland on cornet)and trumpet in big bands although for the last thirty years I've played either alto,tenor and baritone sax.Baritone was fun.So it was "Monty Sunshine" rather than "Marty":I don't know whether you've paid attention to discographies,but I am always seeing misspelled names.If not that,the wrong name.If not that,it's the wrong name.I don't have Brian Rust's book on discographies.Jepsen's Jazz Discographies was better but the critic Ira Gitler told me-in 1978 via a letter-that Jepsen's was a
      twenty-five volume set.As for the "skiffle" style,I read about it via the life of Mick Jagger,it seems that one of his musicians was a former British dixieland trumpeter.Another British musician I did hear was trombonist George Chisolm.I've been told that Ted Heath was also another trombonist;I've never heard him on the instrument.I heard Ambrose just once;via an RCA 78 but I can't recall the title.I think it was something like "In twenty more months and six more days( I'll be out the calaboose).The American clarinet Danny Polo worked for him but I don't know when.I have alot of Ted Heath records on LP.

      Robert Smith <robert.smith@...> wrote: Dear Dan,

      My lifelong interest in jazz began with the jazz revival when the George Webb Dixielanders gave a concert in Birmingham, England in 1947. The trumpet player was Humphrey Lyttelton who later took over the band with a front line consisting of himself, Wally Fawkes and Ian Christie on clarinet, and Keith Christie on trombone. Trad bands appeared in most towns and cities at this time, and the top bands were Mick Mulligan with George Melly, the Yorkshire Jazz Band, the Seventh City Jazz Band, Ray Foxley and the Levee Ramblers, Chris Barber with Ottilie Patterson (like hearing Bessie Smith again). The banjo/guitar player - Lonnie Donegan - left the band to start his own "skiffle" group at first playing Lead Belly songs. Monty Sunshine (N.B. not "Marty") also made a number of recordings on his own. Kenny Ball and Acker Bilk commercialized trad jazz to some extent. A band dedicated to preserving the New Orleans style (Crane River Jazz Band) was led by Ken Colyer.

      "Trad jazz" is still very much alive in England today, albeit mostly with aging musicians and an aging public. I had a program booklet for 2006, that had many pages with jazz concerts, festivals, etc for several hundred different, mostly trad, jazz bands. My personal favourite among all these bands (at least those I've heard) is the Frog Island Jazz Band.

      Kind Regards

      Bob Smith