RE: [RedHotJazz] Hello from west Texas

  • Dan Van Landingham
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 20, 2007
      Welcome to the club.I have been a record collector for close to fifty years.There were two rather good books I owned about twenty five years ago:one was by on Les Docks and the other by a man named Soderburg.The gold and blue Columbias were "popular series";there were some things I had learned quite recently:I was of the impression the blue and gold Columbias dated from around 1915 until 1925.The label had the word "Columbia" in large,capital letters.If the artist was a big name,Columbia put on the words "exclusive artist" below the word "Columbia".I once had a circa 1920 Columbia recording of Al Jolson of "April Showers" which was from some musicial called "Bombo".The label got a slight makeover in 1925 when they went electric:the popular series was in black with some exceptions-in mid 1928,Paul Whiteman switched from Victor to Columbia.He had been a major earner for the label since 1920 with his recording of "Japanese Sandman" and the hits he had there never stopped.It
      was said,according to the writer-cornetist Dick Sudhalter(in his book "Bix Man and Legend")that Whiteman and leader Nat Shilkret got into a disagreement over who could record what and when Whiteman's contract was up by June of 1928,he went over to Columbia which had a special label designed for him.Things didn't work out there and by 1931 he was back at Victor,now RCA Victor.He stayed there until the late '30s then went over to Decca.By 1942 he was at Capitol(he recorded one side with singer Billie Holiday-the tune "Travelin' Light" written by former Earl Hines trombonist Trummy Young).
      Columbia,in the mid-'30s produced a line of blue and gold series of recordings that were a forerunner to the "Masterworks" series that were later issued with blue,green and gray labels.On the redhotjazz website,there is a picture of a Columbia recording of the Vic Berton Orchestra from 1935 and the label is blue and gold.I learned something from that particular site as they show examples of various record labels.Vocalion started out as a label owned by the piano conglomerate Aeolian and those records were "Aeolian-Vocalion".By 1925,the Brunswick-Balke-Collender Company of Chicago but the label and used it as an economy label.They sold for $.35.In 1941,Decca bought the rights to the names "Brunswick" and "Vocalion".Decca used Brunswick as sort of a bottom of the line label that reissued choice jazz sides by the likes of Benny Goodman,Duke Ellington,King Oliver and others.In the late 1950s,some of Lawrence Welk's singers-like the Lennon Sisters-and his violin star Dick
      Kesner-appeared on Brunswick.Brunswick was also a Rhythm and Blues and jazz label.Buddy Holly and The Crickets and singer Jackie Wilson were top drawing acts on that label.Wilson was at Brunswick until the early 1970s.He suffered a massive heart attack and one of his business associates,Tyran Carlo,bought the rights to the name Brunswick.Vocalion was a dumping ground of masters originally released on Decca or Coral.When Decca purchased Brunswick from Columbia,Jack and Dave Kapp(who produced Bing Crosby,Ethel Merman,the Mills Brothers and countless others)owned the Brunswick and Vocalion masters from 1916 until 31 January 1931.Columbia retained ownership of the Brunswick and Vocalion masters from 1 January 1932 until the final Brunswicks were pressed through the summer of 1939.In interesting observation:if you look at the Brunswick label design from 1936 until mid 1939,it's the 1925-35 Columbia label with the name "Columbia" and the famous "sixteenth notes" logo removed
      along with the gold inking that was characteristic of the Columbias of that time and replaced it with the name "Brunswick".The Columbia catalogue numbers ended with the letter D.The Brunswick catalogue numbers were retained(four digits:by the end of 1938 and through at least May or June of 1939,the Brunswicks ended their run in the 8000 series.The new Columbias were a solid red,the name "columbia" in large,block capital letters with the resurrected sixteenth notes in a circle overlapped with the symbol of an RCA microphone).This edition of the Columbia label lasted until 1958.You could tell the later editions by the serial numbers.The first Columbias had three lines of patent numbers;by 1948 there were two lines of patent numbers and by 1958,just one line.The colour of the label went from a shiny red to a dull red.The last 78s issued by Columbia were around 1958 through 1960.Much of the Benny Goodman sides that were either live broadcasts("air checks")or of the now
      legendary Carnegie Hall concert from 1938 were issued on Columbia Masterworks.Sony,which unfortunately bought Columbia Records and Columbia Pictures in 1989,did reissue a good deal of the things Goodman,Count Basie,and other Columbia artists.I hope this helps.If you can get to know the design of the record labels,it can save you from getting burned when someone tries to sell you what is supposed to be an original issue of a jazz classic such as,say,Benny Goodman's 1939 Columbia recording of "Let's Dance".If the label is bright red with the three lines of patent numbers,it's a good chance it's an original.Also,those very first Columbias from 1939 were suffixed with the letters "A" and "B".I have one such recording in my collection by Jack Teagarden's Orchestra with that designation.Have fun.

      Ron L <lherault@...> wrote:
      Hi Judy,

      You may also want to join 78-L a mailing list for collectors of all kinds of
      78rpm disks. See http://www.78online.com

      You found some nice disks of acoustical era jazz there.
      The Triangle record is from a Princeton University club that put on a
      musical production every year which, I believe was all original material.
      One tune from the early 40s, I think became very popular. It is "East of
      the Sun" (and was my parents' "special" tune). The student who wrote the
      tune won a contract to write music in Hollywood and upon his graduation set
      off for California by car. Unfortunately, he was killed in a car accident
      en-route.

      Ron L'Herault