Re: [RedHotJazz] Archive Status amd Song Request (Piggy Wiggy Woo)

    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 8, 2007
      Hi Don

      I think there is no "other" site. For clarity, I suppose I should mention
      http://www.jazz-on-line.com/ (where you won't find Piggy Wiggy Woo anyway)
      which offers nice samples, much better in sound quality than Scott's, for
      the good reason that they were pirated from commercial records - I've just
      listened to Leadbelly's Rock Island Line, directly robbed from BGOCD403...
      anyone willing to pay his fees to the webmaster can download it instead of
      buying the CD, but I won't!

      The purpose of the RedHotJazz archives is, I think, pedagogical in the first
      place - plus the pleasure of listening, when it works - but definitely not
      making money out of stolen material. Although Scott has been silent for a
      while, I think I should add my word, as the owner/manager of this group, to
      several recent posts sent by worried subscribers.
      The purpose of this group is to discuss pre-war jazz, and even if the future
      of the Archives is part of our concerns I think the topic does not extend to
      the many ways of copying, stealing and sharing soundfiles which a restricted
      number of small companies still attempt to reissue. I am not going to
      discuss the financial or moral issues of piracy and I'll gladly keep my
      opinion private, I just think that, since our group is linked to the
      RedHotJazz website and none else, such discussion would be off-topic. Three
      days you said? OK, we saw worse, and still remained patient ;-)

      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 8, 2007
        Patrice -

        Thanks for your reply.

        I am not really interested in pirating any songs, just locating the
        hard to find things that help my father remember his days when these
        songs were popular.

        He usually sings the songs without listening to the artists if he can
        just remember the missing parts of the tunes & words. I am actually
        amazed at how does this after so many years.

        The archives have actually helped me understand the era of the music
        at this time and relate to things he tells me about what was popular
        where he lived (small farm town in Illinois).

        Times seemed to be so much simplier then and the music really
        reflects this if compared to the popular music of today. Songs like
        Dipsy Doodle and Piggy Wiggy Woo were humorous and were easy for most
        to memorize the song's lyrics and tune.

        I am really enjoying this step back in time.

        Thanks again for your reference and support.

        By the way, the site is back up so all is well again!!!

        Don

        --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "Patrice Champarou"
        <patrice.champarou@...> wrote:

        > Hi Don
        >
        > I think there is no "other" site. For clarity, I suppose I should
        mention
        > http://www.jazz-on-line.com/ (where you won't find Piggy Wiggy Woo
        anyway)
        > which offers nice samples, much better in sound quality than
        Scott's, for
        > the good reason that they were pirated from commercial records -
        I've just
        > listened to Leadbelly's Rock Island Line, directly robbed from
        BGOCD403...
        > anyone willing to pay his fees to the webmaster can download it
        instead of
        > buying the CD, but I won't!
        >
        > The purpose of the RedHotJazz archives is, I think, pedagogical in
        the first
        > place - plus the pleasure of listening, when it works - but
        definitely not
        > making money out of stolen material. Although Scott has been silent
        for a
        > while, I think I should add my word, as the owner/manager of this
        group, to
        > several recent posts sent by worried subscribers.
        > The purpose of this group is to discuss pre-war jazz, and even if
        the future
        > of the Archives is part of our concerns I think the topic does not
        extend to
        > the many ways of copying, stealing and sharing soundfiles which a
        restricted
        > number of small companies still attempt to reissue. I am not going
        > discuss the financial or moral issues of piracy and I'll gladly
        keep my
        > opinion private, I just think that, since our group is linked to
        the
        > RedHotJazz website and none else, such discussion would be off-
        topic. Three
        > days you said? OK, we saw worse, and still remained patient ;-)
        >
        > Patrice

        Woo)