Archive Status amd Song Request (Piggy Wiggy Woo)

  • drdesutter
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 8, 2007
      Hi,

      I am new to the group so I thought I would first ask if it is normal
      for the archive site to be down for this long a period (3 days). I
      started listening to music from it last week and it is really a great
      site for this type of music.

      My father is 87 years old and has started singing parts of these
      songs from memory of his younger days. He was frustrated at first
      since he could not remember all of the verses so when I connected him
      with this site, he was quite pleased.

      A recent song he has just begun reciting is Piggy Wiggy Woo. Don't
      ask me where he comes up with these since last week it was the Dipsy
      Doodle and Elmer's Tune.

      Is there another similar site where access to the old tunes are
      available? I have searched everywhere for Piggy Wiggy Woo and this
      site is the only 'hit' I have come across.

      Thanks for any help.
      Don DeSutter
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 8, 2007
        Hi Don

        I think there is no "other" site. For clarity, I suppose I should mention
        http://www.jazz-on-line.com/ (where you won't find Piggy Wiggy Woo anyway)
        which offers nice samples, much better in sound quality than Scott's, for
        the good reason that they were pirated from commercial records - I've just
        listened to Leadbelly's Rock Island Line, directly robbed from BGOCD403...
        anyone willing to pay his fees to the webmaster can download it instead of
        buying the CD, but I won't!

        The purpose of the RedHotJazz archives is, I think, pedagogical in the first
        place - plus the pleasure of listening, when it works - but definitely not
        making money out of stolen material. Although Scott has been silent for a
        while, I think I should add my word, as the owner/manager of this group, to
        several recent posts sent by worried subscribers.
        The purpose of this group is to discuss pre-war jazz, and even if the future
        of the Archives is part of our concerns I think the topic does not extend to
        the many ways of copying, stealing and sharing soundfiles which a restricted
        number of small companies still attempt to reissue. I am not going to
        discuss the financial or moral issues of piracy and I'll gladly keep my
        opinion private, I just think that, since our group is linked to the
        RedHotJazz website and none else, such discussion would be off-topic. Three
        days you said? OK, we saw worse, and still remained patient ;-)

        > I am new to the group so I thought I would first ask if it is normal
        > for the archive site to be down for this long a period (3 days). I
        > started listening to music from it last week and it is really a great
        > site for this type of music.
        >
        > My father is 87 years old and has started singing parts of these
        > songs from memory of his younger days. He was frustrated at first
        > since he could not remember all of the verses so when I connected him
        > with this site, he was quite pleased.
        >
        > A recent song he has just begun reciting is Piggy Wiggy Woo. Don't
        > ask me where he comes up with these since last week it was the Dipsy
        > Doodle and Elmer's Tune.
        >
        > Is there another similar site where access to the old tunes are
        > available? I have searched everywhere for Piggy Wiggy Woo and this
        > site is the only 'hit' I have come across.
        >
        > Thanks for any help.
        > Don DeSutter
      • drdesutter
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 8, 2007
          Patrice -

          Thanks for your reply.

          I am not really interested in pirating any songs, just locating the
          hard to find things that help my father remember his days when these
          songs were popular.

          He usually sings the songs without listening to the artists if he can
          just remember the missing parts of the tunes & words. I am actually
          amazed at how does this after so many years.

          The archives have actually helped me understand the era of the music
          at this time and relate to things he tells me about what was popular
          where he lived (small farm town in Illinois).

          Times seemed to be so much simplier then and the music really
          reflects this if compared to the popular music of today. Songs like
          Dipsy Doodle and Piggy Wiggy Woo were humorous and were easy for most
          to memorize the song's lyrics and tune.

          I am really enjoying this step back in time.

          Thanks again for your reference and support.

          By the way, the site is back up so all is well again!!!

          Don

          --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "Patrice Champarou"
          <patrice.champarou@...> wrote:

          > Hi Don
          >
          > I think there is no "other" site. For clarity, I suppose I should
          mention
          > http://www.jazz-on-line.com/ (where you won't find Piggy Wiggy Woo
          anyway)
          > which offers nice samples, much better in sound quality than
          Scott's, for
          > the good reason that they were pirated from commercial records -
          I've just
          > listened to Leadbelly's Rock Island Line, directly robbed from
          BGOCD403...
          > anyone willing to pay his fees to the webmaster can download it
          instead of
          > buying the CD, but I won't!
          >
          > The purpose of the RedHotJazz archives is, I think, pedagogical in
          the first
          > place - plus the pleasure of listening, when it works - but
          definitely not
          > making money out of stolen material. Although Scott has been silent
          for a
          > while, I think I should add my word, as the owner/manager of this
          group, to
          > several recent posts sent by worried subscribers.
          > The purpose of this group is to discuss pre-war jazz, and even if
          the future
          > of the Archives is part of our concerns I think the topic does not
          extend to
          > the many ways of copying, stealing and sharing soundfiles which a
          restricted
          > number of small companies still attempt to reissue. I am not going
          > discuss the financial or moral issues of piracy and I'll gladly
          keep my
          > opinion private, I just think that, since our group is linked to
          the
          > RedHotJazz website and none else, such discussion would be off-
          topic. Three
          > days you said? OK, we saw worse, and still remained patient ;-)
          >
          > Patrice

          Woo)