Re: [RedHotJazz] RHJ List tops 500

  • Dan Van Landingham
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 16, 2007
      It's a great cause to be sure.Unfortunately,the early jazz fans I knew have long since passed on the most recent was about a year ago in Eugene,Oregon.His son and I were in band together and were in the same graduation class(North Bend High School,North Bend,Oregon class of 1970).His name was Vernon Sorenson and taught French and German at the local college I attended between 1970 and 1972.A strange thing about his record collection:back
      in 1971 he dubbed off some of his records of Bunny Berigan onto reel to reel.I remember seeing the records in their albums.I was at a yard sale just a couple of blocks from my home here in North Bend.The man gave me all of the albums that were on his table and in the course of the next couple of days,I recognised that they were the same pressings he had recorded for me.Besides the Bunny Berigan sides,there were numerous Mezz Mezzrow,Tommy Ladnier and Earl Hines 78s.I called his widow in Eugene and she told me that she still has his records some 2,000 sides.When I first met him,he was really into Duke Ellington but had "gone back" in terms of his listening:he was rediscovering Fletcher Henderson,Whiteman,Goldkette and other 1920s big bands.I'm sure that had I known of the RHJ site earlier,he would have joined.He was 89 years old at the time of his death.His wife Jean is still going strong.

      Michael Rader <Rader.Michael@...> wrote:
      According to Yahoo statistics, the Red Hot Jazz list now has 502 members - the 500th must have joined at the weekend since we were under 500 at the end of last week. Congratulations to Patrice as the founder and owner of the group.

      We would very much like to see the goup reinforce its position as the most important place on the web for discussions across the whole range of red hot jazz. If any of you know enthusiasts who are not yet members and who could make interesting contributions to discussions here, please encourage them to sign up.

      Michael Rader
      Karlsruhe, Germany