sound distortion on Clarence Williams CDs by Timeless

  • aclassicjazzfan
    Message 1 of 13 , May 28, 2005
      --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "aclassicjazzfan"
      <gfitzpatrick@u...> wrote:

      > I don't yet have vol. 2 in the Clarence William series (Timeless
      57). Can anyone report on its sound quality? I do have most of the
      Timeless volumes just before 55 and just after 56 and they all sound
      fine. At least in the case of Timeless, the problem seems to be
      limited to just a couple of CDs produced within a narrow time frame.

      > Gerard

      I've just acquired "Clarence Williams & His Orchestra, vol. 2: 1933-
      1937" (Timeless 57). I regret to report that all cuts on both disks
      in this set have the same sort of sound distortions (short "buzzes"
      or static) as does disk two in volume 1 (disk one sounds fine). This
      seems to confirm Michael's theory that the Timeless CDs from 2001 had
      a production problem. Fortunately, the noise is less intrusive on
      vol. 2 than on vol. 1. In any case, the music is wonderful.

      Gerard