Re: [RedHotJazz] Re: The End Of The Red Hot Jazz Archive?... O NO!!!!

  • AJ Azure
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 10, 2007
      It gets even more complicated when you realize you're dealing with two
      different income streams of music copyright. Mechanicals AND performance
      rights. That's why net audio is so complicated. Is it one or the other or
      both or something brand new?

      You're potentially dealing with songwriters/composers, arrangers, producers,
      publishing companies, record companies, etc. all wanting their palm's share
      of the money, Even on old music.

      _Adriel
    • David Richoux
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 10, 2007
        Don't forget the recording musicians in your list of outstretched
        palms! The AFM is in total support of anything that will get their
        folks a few more pennies per play. Under some versions of these laws
        we have seen, radio stations (broadcast AND Internet) will have to
        provide (for every song played) album and song title, recording date,
        the names of the lead artists, sidemen, producers, engineers, the
        coffee Gofer and the janitors that cleaned up the studio... well,
        maybe not the last two.

        Just imagine how hard that is for a station like KFJC - we get
        recordings from all over the world, independently produced with liner
        notes (if they even exist) in a multitude of languages (including
        symbols, puns, illegible scribbles and finger prints - I am not
        making this up!) We have a staff of about 60 student/volunteers - the
        task of providing all of that data to the government approved
        mobsters would overwhelm a station like KFJC. We have over 600,000
        LPs and other vinyl records in our library that were made before CDs
        and the "Digital Revolution" and even newer releases do not have all
        the info. Many groups have declared, in writing, that they do not
        want to be represented by this system - they probably would never
        have seen a penny of it anyway...

        David RIchoux
        (23+ year vol DJ at KFJC FM)