Re: [RedHotJazz] Hi, about 'Jimmie's Mean Mama Blues'

    Message 1 of 2 , May 28 7:51 AM
      on 28/5/05 10:04, tommersl at tommersl@... wrote:

      > This song was recorded by the hillbilly/country singer Jimmie Rodgers.
      > Rodgers known to have record with new-orleans jazz artists, like
      > Louis Armstrong on 'Blue Yodel #9'. The 'Jimmie's Mean Mama blues'
      > song line up of players is unknown, I couldn't find any resource that
      > claim to know about this song, and most liner notes list the players
      > as unknown. However it sounds to me very good and worth a research,
      > maybe some of the licks will sound recognizable to someone.

      Tony Russell's Country Music Records identifies the band as Bob Sawyer's
      Jazz Band, and Sawyer as the pianist. They also accompanied My Blue Eyed
      Jane from an earlier session.

      This evidenty come from the files and Sawyer's name appears in Brian Rust's
      works also. The rest of the band remains unknown.

      This is presumably the same Bob Sawyer who was the pianist with Carlyle
      Stevenson's El Patio Orchestra on Hollywood and Sunset in 1925. The Rodgers
      sides are five years later.

      Any experts on West Coast white bands out there?