Hi, about 'Jimmie's Mean Mama Blues'

  • tommersl
    Message 1 of 2 , May 28, 2005
      This song was recorded by the hillbilly/country singer Jimmie Rodgers.
      Rodgers known to have record with new-orleans jazz artists, like
      Louis Armstrong on 'Blue Yodel #9'. The 'Jimmie's Mean Mama blues'
      song line up of players is unknown, I couldn't find any resource that
      claim to know about this song, and most liner notes list the players
      as unknown. However it sounds to me very good and worth a research,
      maybe some of the licks will sound recognizable to someone.
      thanks
      tsl
      Message 2 of 2 , May 28, 2005
        on 28/5/05 10:04, tommersl at tommersl@... wrote:

        > This song was recorded by the hillbilly/country singer Jimmie Rodgers.
        > Rodgers known to have record with new-orleans jazz artists, like
        > Louis Armstrong on 'Blue Yodel #9'. The 'Jimmie's Mean Mama blues'
        > song line up of players is unknown, I couldn't find any resource that
        > claim to know about this song, and most liner notes list the players
        > as unknown. However it sounds to me very good and worth a research,
        > maybe some of the licks will sound recognizable to someone.

        Tony Russell's Country Music Records identifies the band as Bob Sawyer's
        Jazz Band, and Sawyer as the pianist. They also accompanied My Blue Eyed
        Jane from an earlier session.

        This evidenty come from the files and Sawyer's name appears in Brian Rust's
        works also. The rest of the band remains unknown.

        This is presumably the same Bob Sawyer who was the pianist with Carlyle
        Stevenson's El Patio Orchestra on Hollywood and Sunset in 1925. The Rodgers
        sides are five years later.

        Any experts on West Coast white bands out there?