Re: Anyone recommend Cy Laurie recordings?

  • jazzguy1927
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 6, 2007
      < In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Harwood" <banjo@...> wrote:

      > Hello people.
      > Recently I bought the Lake CD, "Vintage Cy Laurie". To my mind it's
      > tremendous music. Was Mr. L. always that good? Would anyone like to
      > recommend other Cy Laurie releases in the same vein?
      > Or perhaps there are CDs from the classic era that are not so
      different.
      > All advice gratefully received.>

      I have 2 other Cy Laurie cd's i can recommend on the same label:
      1.Cy Laurie Jazz Band Lake LACD61
      2.Cy Laurie Blows Blue Hot Lake LACD 122.
      As to cd's from the Classic Era.If you like Cy Laurie then you would
      probably like cd's by the New Orleans clarinet player he imitates-
      Johnny Dodds.
      A good cd by Dodds that is still available is "Johnny Dodds Blue
      Clarinet Stomp" on Frog cd # 3.
      This cd contains fine recordings by his own band that recorded for
      Victor Records in 1928 and 1929.
    • Mark Harwood
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 7, 2007
        --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "jazzguy1927" <jazzguy1927@...>
        wrote:

        > < In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Harwood" <banjo@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Hello people.
        > > Recently I bought the Lake CD, "Vintage Cy Laurie". To my mind
        it's
        > > tremendous music. Was Mr. L. always that good? Would anyone like
        > > recommend other Cy Laurie releases in the same vein?
        > > Or perhaps there are CDs from the classic era that are not so
        > different.
        > > All advice gratefully received.>
        >
        > I have 2 other Cy Laurie cd's i can recommend on the same label:
        > 1.Cy Laurie Jazz Band Lake LACD61
        > 2.Cy Laurie Blows Blue Hot Lake LACD 122.
        > As to cd's from the Classic Era.If you like Cy Laurie then you
        would
        > probably like cd's by the New Orleans clarinet player he imitates-
        > Johnny Dodds.
        > A good cd by Dodds that is still available is "Johnny Dodds Blue
        > Clarinet Stomp" on Frog cd # 3.
        > This cd contains fine recordings by his own band that recorded for
        > Victor Records in 1928 and 1929.

        Thanks for that.
        MH