Anyone recommend Cy Laurie recordings?

  • Mark Harwood
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 5 3:25 PM
      Hello people.
      Recently I bought the Lake CD, "Vintage Cy Laurie". To my mind it's
      tremendous music. Was Mr. L. always that good? Would anyone like to
      recommend other Cy Laurie releases in the same vein?
      Or perhaps there are CDs from the classic era that are not so different.
      All advice gratefully received.
    • jazzguy1927
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 6 1:06 PM
        < In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Harwood" <banjo@...> wrote:

        > Hello people.
        > Recently I bought the Lake CD, "Vintage Cy Laurie". To my mind it's
        > tremendous music. Was Mr. L. always that good? Would anyone like to
        > recommend other Cy Laurie releases in the same vein?
        > Or perhaps there are CDs from the classic era that are not so
        different.
        > All advice gratefully received.>

        I have 2 other Cy Laurie cd's i can recommend on the same label:
        1.Cy Laurie Jazz Band Lake LACD61
        2.Cy Laurie Blows Blue Hot Lake LACD 122.
        As to cd's from the Classic Era.If you like Cy Laurie then you would
        probably like cd's by the New Orleans clarinet player he imitates-
        Johnny Dodds.
        A good cd by Dodds that is still available is "Johnny Dodds Blue
        Clarinet Stomp" on Frog cd # 3.
        This cd contains fine recordings by his own band that recorded for
        Victor Records in 1928 and 1929.
      • Dan Van Landingham

          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 6 1:42 PM
            When I heard Cy in the late 1970s or early 80s, he was quite good. But then
            again, I love Johnny Dodds.

            Ron L

            Recently I bought the Lake CD, "Vintage Cy Laurie". To my mind it's
            tremendous music. Was Mr. L. always that good? Would anyone like to
            recommend other Cy Laurie releases in the same vein?
            Or perhaps there are CDs from the classic era that are not so different.
            All advice gratefully received.

            Yahoo! Groups Links
          • Mark Harwood
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 7 1:46 PM
              --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "jazzguy1927" <jazzguy1927@...>
              wrote:

              > < In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Harwood" <banjo@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Hello people.
              > > Recently I bought the Lake CD, "Vintage Cy Laurie". To my mind
              it's
              > > tremendous music. Was Mr. L. always that good? Would anyone like
              > > recommend other Cy Laurie releases in the same vein?
              > > Or perhaps there are CDs from the classic era that are not so
              > different.
              > > All advice gratefully received.>
              >
              > I have 2 other Cy Laurie cd's i can recommend on the same label:
              > 1.Cy Laurie Jazz Band Lake LACD61
              > 2.Cy Laurie Blows Blue Hot Lake LACD 122.
              > As to cd's from the Classic Era.If you like Cy Laurie then you
              would
              > probably like cd's by the New Orleans clarinet player he imitates-
              > Johnny Dodds.
              > A good cd by Dodds that is still available is "Johnny Dodds Blue
              > Clarinet Stomp" on Frog cd # 3.
              > This cd contains fine recordings by his own band that recorded for
              > Victor Records in 1928 and 1929.

              Thanks for that.
              MH