The wisdom of Ristic

    Message 1 of 1 , May 28 3:59 AM
      The following quotation from the late John R.T. Davies, which came to my
      attention by accident this morning, seems relevant to certain recent
      discussions:

      "Discographers who, readily recognising many of the more distinctive players
      and quite correctly 'discovering' them in unexpected contexts, have (for no
      better reason than having a hook to hang a hat on) seemingly ignored the
      inescapable fact that, while certainly a relatively small number of
      musicians reached the recording studios in those days, probably at least ten
      times as many as those whose names we know also recorded." [Insert notes,
      Timeless CBC1-030]

      I apologize to those whose native tongue is not English for the gothic
      complexities of this sentence, but the sentiments deserve the widest
      circulation!