Re: [RedHotJazz] Re: The End Of The Red Hot Jazz Archive?

  • Dan Van Landingham
    Message 1 of 40 , Jul 2, 2007
      Regarding 1920s vintage recordings;has anyone done any research of the histories of the long since defunct labels such as Cameo,Claxtonola,Sun Records(not the label Elvis,Johnny Cash,Roy Orbison and Jerry Lee Lewis recorded for)who recorded Kid Ory in LA in the early '20s?I am on Gennett's mailing list;what is going on there?I assumed that the owners of the Gennett website owned what masters that are known of such as the Bix,King Oliver and Jelly Roll ones.This was something that has always fascinated me as I saw alot of those labels in junk stores back in the early sixties.As I mentioned before,my friend Al Hendrickson(of Artie Shaw's 1940-41 band:he was his guitarist),told me about finding some of the Paramount masters in a river bed.When I was around ten or so years old(this was in 1961),people were always giving me old 78 and 80 rpm records and I remember some of the labels were truly oddballs:Marathon Records owned by the Nutmeg Record Company as well as the
      aforementioned Gennett label(I had a record of the tune "Remembering" on that label but I can't remember who recorded it).Some labels I knew of were ultimately owned by CBS.What comes to mind is the early sixties boxed set "Thesaurus of Classic Jazz" which showed the
      Harmony,Domino,Perfect,Pathe-Actuelle and OKeh labels on the cover of the album.I checked out that particular set from the library of the college I attended in Coos Bay,Oregon back in the early seventies.What laws I knew of came to me via the late Wally Heider of Hindsight Records and George Buck owner of several labels such as GHB and Circle.Both told me that while one would get into hot water rereleasing material from RCA,CBS,Capitol or any other major label,air checks seemed to be in the public domain and were "fair game" so to speak.I would appreciate any enlightening on this subject as I frequently listen to the recordings from RHJ's website.The last bit of info I read about was when EMI bought the masters to what was ABC Records.ABC had the Dunhill label as well as Westminster,a classical music label they acquired God knows when and,of course,the recent merger of EMI and Sony.The latter was odd in that EMI,if I recall correctly,came about via the merger of British
      Columbia(no pun intended)and the Gramophone Company,the British side of RCA Victor("His Master's Voice" in Europe and India,"Victor" in Canada).It would seem that mast-ers from RCA could be released on Sony and vice versa.As I said,what advice is welcome.

      David Richoux <tubaman@...> wrote:
      Maybe what he is getting at is this:
      Tower Records went bankrupt and as of last year is now only an
      Internet store...

      In other words: Fat Chance!

      David Richoux

      Message 40 of 40 , Jul 2, 2007