Re: The End Of The Red Hot Jazz Archive?

  • tommersl
    Message 1 of 40 , Jun 30, 2007
      --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "Jack Henderson" <ahhayesyes@...>
      wrote:

      > There should be no doubt in anyone's mind that with redhotjazz.com off
      > the internet, EMI, Sony/BMG and Vivendi Universal will RUSH wonderfully
      > available on the site to your local Tower Records store.
      >
      > July 15th will in deed be a sad day¬Ö

      Those labels had never showed a real will to do anything with
      historical or art quality values, even as compilations let alone
      complete sets. Save projects that can give them a lot of money like
      Robert Johnson or Bessie Smith. They never promoted the great music as
      a collective art of excellence, they rather sell music by singular
      "legend" icons, because otherwise they afraid that the market will be
      messed up with too many choices for the masses. I pray that the
      redhotjazz archives will not be touched, it is one of the most
      important achievments of the entire internet.
      tommersl
      Message 40 of 40 , Jul 2, 2007
        From: "tommersl"

        > I'm not 100% sure about it but I think its the servers location that
        > counts, not the domain name! Otherwise its easy to create a new domain
        > and redirect to it!
        > Tommersl

        That seems very logical, but my concern is : what if... the fact that
        http://redhotjazz.com belongs to Scott means that he is responsible for the
        content, as an American citizen, whatever the location of the site's files?
        I suspect that there won't be any need to transfer them anyway (Neal's reply
        and the notion of "weighing risks" seem to me quite satisfactory, all the
        more so when I think of some websites which do not only make pre-war
        material available, but also have nerves to *sell* pre-1930 sound files for
        which they cannot claim any kind of rights!!!) but I've still asked the
        question about what defines a website's "nationality", and expect a bunch of
        replies from different groups. Even useless efforts in order to save
        redhotjazz won't be actually "wasted".