The End Of The Red Hot Jazz Archive?

  • Scott Alexander
    Message 1 of 40 , Jun 26, 2007
      I decided not to take part in the 'Day of Silence' for US web radio but
      I have serious concerns about continuing with hosting the Red Hot Jazz
      Archive after July 15th of this year.

      What's your opinion folks? Any lawyers out there? Does anyone outside of
      the USA want to take over the hosting of the site?

      If you don't know what I'm talking about here are some news articles:
      http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2007/06/26/MNGMDQLP6G1.DTL

      It's a hard decision for me. The Red Hot Jazz Archive has been on the
      Internet for over 11 years.
      Scott Alexander
      The Red Hot Jazz Archive
      www.redhotjazz.com
      Message 40 of 40 , Jul 2, 2007
        From: "tommersl"

        > I'm not 100% sure about it but I think its the servers location that
        > counts, not the domain name! Otherwise its easy to create a new domain
        > and redirect to it!
        > Tommersl

        That seems very logical, but my concern is : what if... the fact that
        http://redhotjazz.com belongs to Scott means that he is responsible for the
        content, as an American citizen, whatever the location of the site's files?
        I suspect that there won't be any need to transfer them anyway (Neal's reply
        and the notion of "weighing risks" seem to me quite satisfactory, all the
        more so when I think of some websites which do not only make pre-war
        material available, but also have nerves to *sell* pre-1930 sound files for
        which they cannot claim any kind of rights!!!) but I've still asked the
        question about what defines a website's "nationality", and expect a bunch of
        replies from different groups. Even useless efforts in order to save
        redhotjazz won't be actually "wasted".