Re: Klein Tindull

    Message 1 of 3 , May 27, 2005
      on 27/5/05 3:37, Prof_Hi_Jinx at prof_hi_jinx@... wrote:

      > I can't find Klein Tindull or his family in the 1900 Census, but he appears
      > in 1910, 1920 and 1930. The unusual name Klein seems to be derived from the
      > German 'klein' for small, implying 'junior'. I think I've found his mother
      > (under her maiden name) in 1900 at Hawesville, Hancock County, KY, born
      > January 1881, and therefore he may have been born in 1900, but after the
      > Census date.
      >
      > In 1910, he is listed as Cline (sic) Tindull, aged 10, living with his
      > mother, Katie Tindull, "Book Keeper", at Lewisport, Hancock County, KY, both
      > living in the household of his maternal grandfather, Cooper Lee.
      >
      > By 1920, he is shown as "Klyne Tindull", aged 21, "Traveling Musician",
      > lodging at Columbus, Franklin County, OH. He is shown as having been born
      > in Ohio to a father born in Ohio and mother born in Kentucky.
      >
      > Klein Tindull (spelling sic) was enumerated for the 1930 Census at 3420
      > (South) Michigan Avenue, Chicago, "Musician, Theatre". He was aged 29,
      > single, and had been born in Ohio to a father born in Virginia and a mother
      > (Katherine Brice by 1930) born in Kentucky. He was living with his mother,
      > who owned an Employment Agency. Not your run-of-the-mill field laborers!

      Terrific stuff, Bob.

      Cline (thus in the Chicago Defender report) made a very unwelcome entry into
      non-musical history when he and five other members of Howard's Whispering
      Orchestra of Gold appearing at the Halcyon Hotel, Miami, fell victim to a
      lynch mob.

      The full story, "Florida Mob's Atrocities Put "Huns" To Shame", can be found
      in the Chicago Defender of 25 February 1922. From the account of his
      injuries he was lucky to have survived. The report names his mother as
      Katherine Brice of 8544 Grand Boulevard, Chicago, so the 1930 census entry
      is definitely him, if there was ever any doubt.

    • rag1916
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 16, 2008
        Dear Prof. Hi Jinx,

        WOW! So his name was misspelled all this time on those Vance Dixon
        sides? I didn't know that. Thanks for the research... now I can
        continue where you left off. Who would have thought him and
        census-takers would be so lax in the spelling of his name?

        The fact that he was 29 in 1930 implies that he was probably born in
        1901, which would explain why he doesn't appear in the 1900 census.

        regards,
        -Andrew

        --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "Prof_Hi_Jinx" <prof_hi_jinx@...>
        wrote:

        > I can't find Klein Tindull or his family in the 1900 Census, but he
        appears
        > in 1910, 1920 and 1930. The unusual name Klein seems to be derived
        from the
        > German 'klein' for small, implying 'junior'. I think I've found his
        mother
        > (under her maiden name) in 1900 at Hawesville, Hancock County, KY, born
        > January 1881, and therefore he may have been born in 1900, but after
        the
        > Census date.
        >
        > In 1910, he is listed as Cline (sic) Tindull, aged 10, living with his
        > mother, Katie Tindull, "Book Keeper", at Lewisport, Hancock County,
        KY, both
        > living in the household of his maternal grandfather, Cooper Lee.
        >
        > By 1920, he is shown as "Klyne Tindull", aged 21, "Traveling Musician",
        > lodging at Columbus, Franklin County, OH. He is shown as having
        been born
        > in Ohio to a father born in Ohio and mother born in Kentucky.
        >
        > Klein Tindull (spelling sic) was enumerated for the 1930 Census at 3420
        > (South) Michigan Avenue, Chicago, "Musician, Theatre". He was aged 29,
        > single, and had been born in Ohio to a father born in Virginia and a
        mother
        > (Katherine Brice by 1930) born in Kentucky. He was living with his
        mother,
        > who owned an Employment Agency. Not your run-of-the-mill field
        laborers!

        > Bob

        I have
        > >> been listening to classic jazz for some 40 odd years and especially
        > >> enjoy the Red Hot Jazz Archives where I can browse for those great
        > >> elusive unknown recordings we all are looking for.
        > >> However, having grown up in Sweden I once bought a 45 rpm record
        (on a
        > >> label aptly known as Pirate Records) that had the following tune
        on it:
        > >> Old Man Blues; recorded in Chicago 7/25/26 by Birmingham Bluetette on
        > >> Herwin 92019-A. Personnel unknown, except for Jimmy Blythe on
        piano. I
        > >> contacted Scott Alexander some time ago, and he was kind enough
        to add
        > >> this recording to the Archives.
        > >> To me this recording embodies real HOT jazz, and it has stood the
        test
        > >> of time. There is a very hot cornet solo on it, which is ascribed to
        > >> Freddie Keppard on a Keppard anthology that I have on LP by the
        Italian

        http://au.messenger.yahoo.com