The Cranes

  • Tony Standish
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 18, 2007
      Always good to know some people still remember when the Cranes were flying.
      Along with the Christie Brothers' Stompers, they caused a sensation when the first 78s arrived down here (Melbourne) in the '50s.
      Ernst Borneman once opined that his anthropological reasoning led him to believe the Cranes were the closest we'd ever get to the sound of he Bolden band.
      We know, with hindsight, that they probably weren't, but we gladly took it on board in those heady, youthful days.
      Somewhere, I've still got a 78 "dub' that John R.T. sent me of the Cranes, complete with annotation on the label in John's beloved green ink. "A Miner's Dream of Home" I think was one of the titles.
      Welcome aboard, Mark - and cheers to all us Crane lovers!
      Tony Standish