Re: [RedHotJazz] what was the real name?

  • Dan Van Landingham
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 15, 2007
      Taking a quick look at the redhotjazz website,they list no sessions under the nom de disc "New Orleans Lucky Seven".I am going to have to order a new copy of Bix Man and Legend as my copy was left back in Lometa,Texas.This is something that can be readily solved.However after nearly fifty years of record collecting,I run into some of the strangest things.Speaking of Bix,he was supposed to have done a record date on Harmony in the middle to late '20s for Sam Lanin.This came about when Sudhalter wrote in Bix Man and Legend,Lanin wrote a check out to Bix.It is known that Bix did record with some of Lanin's men:one person listed,a trumpeter named Hymie Farberman.Stranger still were the take numbers of this particular session led discographers to believe that at least five different takes existed.When these so called takes were listened to,the second and fifth "takes" were the same.I've forgotten the name of the tunes cut.Harmony,and its Velvet Tone label,ultimately wound up
      being owned by what would become known as Columbia Records;I am speaking of the 1939 sale of the American Record Corporation to CBS.CBS ended up owning the masters to several different record labels that went under by 1933,OKeh by way of its ownership by the old Columbia label that went under in 1935.I am going back to the redhotjazz website to check out another Bix recording name.I'll let you know what I find out as "Bix and his Gang" seems to be the logical choice as there is nothing under the heading of "New Orleans Lucky Seven".

      domingo warner <domingowarner@...> wrote: Bix Beiderbecke recorded on October 1927 Goose pimples and Royal garden blues,i want to know, it was Bix and his Gang or it was New Orleans Lucky Seven?.