AMERICAN LEGACY

  • fraser540021
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 6, 2007
      i note from Preservation Hall Portraits(text by Borenstein & Russell)
      that Willie Humphrey went to Chicago in the fall of 1919 and played
      with Oliver at the world series,George Filhe at the DeLuxe cafe and
      with Freddy Keppard.

      As a newcomer to red hot Jazz how does one get to see the Photos? I
      note that Robert smith attached one of Oliver's Band but I couldn't see
      it.
    • Robert Smith
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 7, 2007
        Hello "fraser540021"

        Sorry I sent you on a wild goose chase. The King Oliver photo was requested by another group member in connection with identifying the band members. However, I accidently sent the E-mail with the photo attached to the group. Any attachments on such E-mails are stripped off, so nobody got this photo.

        Since there seems to be an interest in this photo I have now uploaded it to the group's home page in the album "King Oliver" in the "Photos" section. There are also three versions of the classic photo of the Creole Band at "Yahoo! Photo Album".

        If you can't access the "Photos" section at:
        http://launch.groups.com/group/RedHotJazz/
        then you'll need to open an E-mail address with Yahoo.

        If this doesn't work then let me know and I'll send you a copy.

        Regards

        Bob Smith

      • Dan Van Landingham
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 7, 2007
          Go to your local book store and check into a Da Capo reprint of Rudi Blesh's 1958 udated version of his 1946 book "Shining Trumpets".I've read both versions;I had the hardbound edition of "Shining Trumpets" as well as the paperback version.It had a lot of pictures of the New Orleans musicians as well as the venues such as Funky Butt as well as Mahogany Hall.I have had strong reservations regarding Blesh's opinions of what jazz is as opposed to what wasn't.Reservations aside,It is a valuable reference regarding the early days of jazz.I had the paperbook version but gave it to a friend of mine some twenty years ago.Also,check into the book Blesh also wrote "They All Played Ragtime".You can check ebay,amazon.com or your local book store."They All Played Ragtime" is the one I haven't read.Regarding Buddy Bolden,there was a fairly new book regarding him.Do a Google search on his life with Buddy Bolden as the search engine.Another book you might check out is Bugles for
          Beiderbecke which was published back in 1958.The author was a British attorney named Charles Wearing.I could be wrong on that as I had a copy and gave it to a dear friend of mine around
          tweny five to thirty years ago.There is a website that dealt with the history of the Starr Piano Company and its Gennett label which recorded Bix,Lawrence Welk,King Oliver,Jelly Roll Morton and countless others.

          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 7, 2007
            The seminal work on Bolden is "In search of Buddy Bolden" by Donald m
            Marquis,a revised edition of which has recently appeared.Published by
            Louisiana state University press.Don Marquis also wrote an earlier book
            on Bolden but it's title has escaped me.Interestingly enough the
            current edition of New orleans Music(Vol 13/4) is almost entirely
            devoted to Bolden.

            On the subject of the Oliver photo,two appear in Laurie Wright's
            book "King" Oliver published by Storyville in 1987.the caption gives
            the personnel as :- OLIVER/DUTREY/LAWRENCE DUHE/WILLIE
            HUMPHREY/J.POLLARD/WELLMAN BRAUD/MINOR HALL.tHE BOOK STATES THAT IT WAS
            IN FACT DUHE'S BAND.

            Robert,thanks for the info re the photo.

            Fraser Mccombe