Re: American Legacy summer music issue - King Oliver White Sox band

  • silverleafjb
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 6, 2007
      Bob, thanks for the scan of the photo. I'm not about the
      identifications from Blesh's book. I think I recall the trombonist as
      George Filhe, not Dutrey, and I know Willie Humphrey is one of the
      reeds. Can't for the life of me remember where I saw the other photo
      of this...Pictorial History of Jazz? New Orleans Family Album?

      Anybody else out there know??

      Cheers,
      Chris Tyle
    • ikey100
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 7, 2007
        I've been away a few days since my post, but have since checked the
        photo in the pictorial history "Black Beauty White Heat" (Driggs,
        Lewine, Bacon), and that book gives the personnel in the photo as:
        (left to right) Minor Hall, drums; Honore Dutrey, trombone; King
        Oliver, cornet; Lawrence Duhe, first clarinet; Willie Humphrey,
        second clarinet; Johnny Palao, tenor sax; with band members Wellman
        Braud and Bud Scott not pictured.

        Incidentally, this was the 1919 World Series that is infamous
        as the "Black Sox" Series, for a scandal involving gamblers paying
        players to cheat. And it was just at the outset of Jimmy Yancey's
        three decade employment as a groundskeeper at that ballpark, where
        he was at least once or twice captured in the background of sports
        photos.

        Warren

        -- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "silverleafjb"