American Legacy summer music issue - King Oliver White Sox band

  • Robert Smith
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 5, 2007
      It's late at night here in Norway, and my concentration isn't at its peak at the moment. My abject apologies, therefore, to all of you who didn't want a picture of King Oliver's Creole Jazz Band in 1919, but who nevertheless received one from me.

      Believe me, I do try to act rationally at times.

      Bob Smith

    • silverleafjb
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 6, 2007
        Bob, thanks for the scan of the photo. I'm not about the
        identifications from Blesh's book. I think I recall the trombonist as
        George Filhe, not Dutrey, and I know Willie Humphrey is one of the
        reeds. Can't for the life of me remember where I saw the other photo
        of this...Pictorial History of Jazz? New Orleans Family Album?

        Anybody else out there know??

        Cheers,
        Chris Tyle
      • ikey100
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 7, 2007
          I've been away a few days since my post, but have since checked the
          photo in the pictorial history "Black Beauty White Heat" (Driggs,
          Lewine, Bacon), and that book gives the personnel in the photo as:
          (left to right) Minor Hall, drums; Honore Dutrey, trombone; King
          Oliver, cornet; Lawrence Duhe, first clarinet; Willie Humphrey,
          second clarinet; Johnny Palao, tenor sax; with band members Wellman
          Braud and Bud Scott not pictured.

          Incidentally, this was the 1919 World Series that is infamous
          as the "Black Sox" Series, for a scandal involving gamblers paying
          players to cheat. And it was just at the outset of Jimmy Yancey's
          three decade employment as a groundskeeper at that ballpark, where
          he was at least once or twice captured in the background of sports
          photos.

          Warren

          -- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "silverleafjb"