American Legacy summer music issue - King Oliver White Sox band

  • Robert Smith
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 5 2:45 PM
      Hello Chris

      Rudi Blesh in "Shining Trumpets" has a photo of Oliver's Band at Comiskey Park in 1919, with a banner in the background that looks as though it says "WHITE SOX BOOSTER".

      Here's a scan of the photo as a Word document:

      Regards

      Bob Smith

    • Robert Smith
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 5 3:05 PM
        It's late at night here in Norway, and my concentration isn't at its peak at the moment. My abject apologies, therefore, to all of you who didn't want a picture of King Oliver's Creole Jazz Band in 1919, but who nevertheless received one from me.

        Believe me, I do try to act rationally at times.

        Bob Smith

      • silverleafjb
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 6 9:04 AM
          Bob, thanks for the scan of the photo. I'm not about the
          identifications from Blesh's book. I think I recall the trombonist as
          George Filhe, not Dutrey, and I know Willie Humphrey is one of the
          reeds. Can't for the life of me remember where I saw the other photo
          of this...Pictorial History of Jazz? New Orleans Family Album?

          Anybody else out there know??

          Cheers,
          Chris Tyle
        • ikey100
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 7 12:32 PM
            I've been away a few days since my post, but have since checked the
            photo in the pictorial history "Black Beauty White Heat" (Driggs,
            Lewine, Bacon), and that book gives the personnel in the photo as:
            (left to right) Minor Hall, drums; Honore Dutrey, trombone; King
            Oliver, cornet; Lawrence Duhe, first clarinet; Willie Humphrey,
            second clarinet; Johnny Palao, tenor sax; with band members Wellman
            Braud and Bud Scott not pictured.

            Incidentally, this was the 1919 World Series that is infamous
            as the "Black Sox" Series, for a scandal involving gamblers paying
            players to cheat. And it was just at the outset of Jimmy Yancey's
            three decade employment as a groundskeeper at that ballpark, where
            he was at least once or twice captured in the background of sports
            photos.

            Warren

            -- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "silverleafjb"