Re: [RedHotJazz] Alex Hyde (oops!)

  • Dan Van Landingham
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 2 11:48 AM
      I've never heard of Alex Hyde.Just who was he?The only "Alex" I've ever come across was Alex Hill who died of Tuberculosis in or around 1934.

      ikey100 <wlmoorman3@...> wrote: Oops! After simply browsing Rust, I should have done an internet
      search. I immediately see that H.J.P. Bergmeier and Rainier Lotz have
      authored a bio-discography on Alex Hyde, and the description says
      American leader and sideman, WWI Navy Band, Mike Danzi's Red Devils,
      Paul Whiteman, The Red Heads, etc. Still, if someone wishes to give
      some additional summary I would welcome it.
      Warren

      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 2 4:20 PM
        Alex Hyde has an entry, by Dr. Rainer Lotz, in The New Grove Dictionary of
        Jazz.

        Born ?Hamburg, Germany 17 Feb 1898
        Died Santa Monica, CA, 7 July 1956

        Family emigrated to U.S. when he was 2. Played in New York 1919-1922, toured
        with his Romance of Rhythm orchestra, 1922-3.

        Toured and recorded in Germany with two different bands, 1924-5.

        After returning to U.S. formed a talent agency, led air force band, later
        worked in Hollywood.

      • Mordechai Litzman
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 2 8:10 PM
          Would suggest to first search the redhotjazz.com site before Google. Not less than some 27 recordings by Alex Hyde are available to listen to, all from Berlin 1924-25.

          ikey100 <wlmoorman3@yahoo. com> wrote: Oops! After simply browsing Rust, I should have done an internet

          search. I immediately see that H.J.P. Bergmeier and Rainier Lotz have

          authored a bio-discography on Alex Hyde, and the description says

          American leader and sideman, WWI Navy Band, Mike Danzi's Red Devils,

          Paul Whiteman, The Red Heads, etc. Still, if someone wishes to give

          some additional summary I would welcome it.

          Warren

          <!--

          #ygrp-mlmsg * {line-height:1.22em;}
          #ygrp-text{