American Legacy summer music issue

  • ikey100
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 1 10:25 AM
      Members of RedHotJazz might be interested in seeing the summer issue
      of American Legacy magazine, a (US) journal of African-American
      history, which is a special music issue. It includes pieces on King
      Oliver, Florence Mills, and the Harlem photographer Eddie Elcha.
      There are a number of fine photos included, several of them
      apparently previously unpublished.

      The Florence Mills story includes among others a photo of her
      resting backstage under a sunlamp, to palliate the Tuberculosis that
      would soon take her life. It also includes more familiar ones such as
      the 1916 trio photo with Cora Green and Bricktop, and several show
      cast photos.

      The Joe Oliver piece includes a photo of his band at a 1918 Chicago
      White Sox baseball game, which will be more familiar to some. The
      visible personnel are Oliver (cornet), trombone, two clarinets, sax
      (alto or tenor, it isn't clear) and drums. This photo certainly
      demonstrates how lineups and instrumentation were more fluid in early
      jazz units. Are any of the other group members identified? (The
      trombone player, if African-American, is a very light skinned fellow).

      The Eddie Elcha story includes a photo taken inside Connie's Inn,
      showing both audience and performers. There are also musician
      portraits-Elcha made professional studio photos for many Harlem
      performers, including the familiar 1923 shot of Bessie Smith in a
      feathered headdress looking over her shoulder at the camera; the
      story includes a photo of a dapper but unidentified trumpet player
      (Johnny Dunn, perhaps?), also one of Johnnie Hudgins, and a nighttime
      street scene of the Lafayette Theatre with Johnnie Hudgins top billed.

      The magazine also includes pieces on performers from other eras,
      including harmonica player Deford Bailey and Sissieretta Jones, "the
      Black Patti" of the late 19th/early 20th century era from whom the
      later record label borrowed its' name. All in all, an issue well
      worth seeing for those with an interest in such things.

      Warren
    • silverleafjb
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 5 2:56 AM
        > The Joe Oliver piece includes a photo of his band at a 1918 Chicago
        > White Sox baseball game, which will be more familiar to some. The
        > visible personnel are Oliver (cornet), trombone, two clarinets, sax
        > (alto or tenor, it isn't clear) and drums. This photo certainly
        > demonstrates how lineups and instrumentation were more fluid in early
        > jazz units. Are any of the other group members identified? (The
        > trombone player, if African-American, is a very light skinned fellow).

        I tried to find a copy online of this photo, since I'm away from home
        and my reference materials. But I do remember some of the musicians:
        Willie Humphrey, tenor sax; Lawrence Duhe', clarinet (it may have been
        his band); Bill Johnson, bass; Minor Hall, drums. I think possibly Bud
        Scott on banjo. Don't recall the trombonist but I think he was a New
        Orleans player and African-American. There are at least two different
        shots of the band.

        If someone can direct me to, or email me a scan of the group, I might
        be able to be more positive with the identification...

        Cheers,
        Chris Tyle
      • silverleafjb
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 5 5:16 AM
          I think maybe Jimmy Palao might be the sax player...is it Dutrey on
          trombone???

          Cheers,
          Chris Tyle

          --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "silverleafjb" <silverleafjb@...>
          wrote:

          > > The Joe Oliver piece includes a photo of his band at a 1918 Chicago
          > > White Sox baseball game, which will be more familiar to some. The
          > > visible personnel are Oliver (cornet), trombone, two clarinets, sax
          > > (alto or tenor, it isn't clear) and drums. This photo certainly
          > > demonstrates how lineups and instrumentation were more fluid in early
          > > jazz units. Are any of the other group members identified? (The
          > > trombone player, if African-American, is a very light skinned fellow).
          >
          > I tried to find a copy online of this photo, since I'm away from home
          > and my reference materials. But I do remember some of the musicians:
          > Willie Humphrey, tenor sax; Lawrence Duhe', clarinet (it may have been
          > his band); Bill Johnson, bass; Minor Hall, drums. I think possibly Bud
          > Scott on banjo. Don't recall the trombonist but I think he was a New
          > Orleans player and African-American. There are at least two different
          > shots of the band.
          >
          > If someone can direct me to, or email me a scan of the group, I might
          > be able to be more positive with the identification...
          >
          > Cheers,
          > Chris Tyle

        • Dan Van Landingham
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 5 11:21 AM
            Would Blesh's "Shining Trumpets" give you any input as Blesh used a number of photos in his book?Mine is in Lometa,Texas.

            silverleafjb <silverleafjb@...> wrote:
            > The Joe Oliver piece includes a photo of his band at a 1918 Chicago
            > White Sox baseball game, which will be more familiar to some. The
            > visible personnel are Oliver (cornet), trombone, two clarinets, sax
            > (alto or tenor, it isn't clear) and drums. This photo certainly
            > demonstrates how lineups and instrumentation were more fluid in early
            > jazz units. Are any of the other group members identified? (The
            > trombone player, if African-American, is a very light skinned fellow).

            I tried to find a copy online of this photo, since I'm away from home
            and my reference materials. But I do remember some of the musicians:
            Willie Humphrey, tenor sax; Lawrence Duhe', clarinet (it may have been
            his band); Bill Johnson, bass; Minor Hall, drums. I think possibly Bud
            Scott on banjo. Don't recall the trombonist but I think he was a New
            Orleans player and African-American. There are at least two different
            shots of the band.

            If someone can direct me to, or email me a scan of the group, I might
            be able to be more positive with the identification...

            Cheers,
            Chris Tyle

          • Robert Smith
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 5 2:45 PM
              Hello Chris

              Rudi Blesh in "Shining Trumpets" has a photo of Oliver's Band at Comiskey Park in 1919, with a banner in the background that looks as though it says "WHITE SOX BOOSTER".

              Here's a scan of the photo as a Word document:

              Regards

              Bob Smith

            • Robert Smith
              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 5 3:05 PM
                It's late at night here in Norway, and my concentration isn't at its peak at the moment. My abject apologies, therefore, to all of you who didn't want a picture of King Oliver's Creole Jazz Band in 1919, but who nevertheless received one from me.

                Believe me, I do try to act rationally at times.

                Bob Smith

              • silverleafjb
                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 6 9:04 AM
                  Bob, thanks for the scan of the photo. I'm not about the
                  identifications from Blesh's book. I think I recall the trombonist as
                  George Filhe, not Dutrey, and I know Willie Humphrey is one of the
                  reeds. Can't for the life of me remember where I saw the other photo
                  of this...Pictorial History of Jazz? New Orleans Family Album?

                  Anybody else out there know??

                  Cheers,
                  Chris Tyle
                • ikey100
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jun 7 12:32 PM
                    I've been away a few days since my post, but have since checked the
                    photo in the pictorial history "Black Beauty White Heat" (Driggs,
                    Lewine, Bacon), and that book gives the personnel in the photo as:
                    (left to right) Minor Hall, drums; Honore Dutrey, trombone; King
                    Oliver, cornet; Lawrence Duhe, first clarinet; Willie Humphrey,
                    second clarinet; Johnny Palao, tenor sax; with band members Wellman
                    Braud and Bud Scott not pictured.

                    Incidentally, this was the 1919 World Series that is infamous
                    as the "Black Sox" Series, for a scandal involving gamblers paying
                    players to cheat. And it was just at the outset of Jimmy Yancey's
                    three decade employment as a groundskeeper at that ballpark, where
                    he was at least once or twice captured in the background of sports
                    photos.

                    Warren