J.C. Johnson and hisFive Hot Sparks

  • Andrew Homzy
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 28, 2004
      Dear Scott,

      This is getting interesting.

      "Jet Black Blues" is the same as "Crying For You (Baby Mine)" - both
      composed by J.C. Johnson.

      I need more listening time, but at one hearing, it seems:

      The trumpet players are different - presumably Walter Benett, on Jet Black
      Blues, has more of the Armstrong touch while the trumpeter/cornetist on
      "Crying For You (Baby Mine)" has other qualities.

      However, both clarinetist and trombonist seem to be the same.

      More details when I've had more time to listen carefully.

      Cheers,

      Andrew Homzy, Montréal

      The only other Walter Benett session on the site:
      http://www.redhotjazz.com/bennett.html

      Scott Alexander
      The Red Hot Jazz Archive
      www.redhotjazz.com