Re: TOP TEN

  • Robert Greenwood
    Message 1 of 2 , May 22, 2007
      Yes, but you would have to justify the inclusion of the Sam Morgan
      band in the canon of 1920s jazz on grounds other than your dismay at
      not seeing what is evidently one of your (and my) favourite bands in
      the list. Dave's e-mail already carries with it an appended note
      regretting the omission of the Morgan band and the Tiny Parhams from
      his list. Why do you think the Morgan band (and the Celestins and the
      Pirons) deserve inclusion alongside Morton, Louis, Nichols,
      Henderson, Bix, et al?

      I suspect that Kid Thomas called his band a Dixieland band in much
      the same spirit that Scan Tester, the Sussex "folk" musician whose
      career is so well documented by Reg Hall, described his country dance
      band, formed not long after the First World War, as a "jazz band."
      Robert Greenwood.

      > I was wondering when somebody would mention the New Orleans based
      bands
      > and note that we know have a vote for the Original tuxedo - what
      about
      > Piron or Morgan?
      >
      > I certainly believe the sam morgan Band should be in there!
      >
      > Incidentally I note from a new 504 CD that the sleeve notes confirm
      my
      > story re bill russell changing the name of kid Thomas's band.There
      is
      > also further elaboration,Kid thomas called his band at that time
      the
      > Kid Thomas Dixieland band,apparently some well meaning fan told him
      > that he didn't play dixieland so thomas took out the dixieland!
      >
      > Perhaps the Thomas band was a worthy successor to Sam
      Morgan,certainly