Re: Jazz and "Swing"

  • tommersl
    Message 1 of 5 , May 19, 2007
      --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "David W. Littlefield" <dwlit@...>
      wrote:

      > How do you folks define "swing" in jazz? I interpret it to mean
      > basically making people, including musicians, move rhythmically. I
      > define it this way because so much of the white 20s jazz was 2-
      beat,
      > vs. the black 4-beat. Some folks don't consider to be jazz anything
      > that doesn't "swing", but much white jazz didn't swing.
      >

      > --Sheik
      > Dave Littlefield banjo, piano, guitar, washboard
      > http://americanmusiccaravan.com

      One of the problems that fails fans from defining swing is because
      they trying to define it by trying to learn what the most advanced
      and complicated bands did on this term. It's part of the academic
      concept that the bass line has to be something very simple to
      understand and even implied and the only big deal is in the chords.
      This is not true to African music, work songs and the likes. Basic
      Swing exists in every music that has relations to dancing, implied or
      not. Every cycled melody for bass line could be of use, or more
      abstract, every communication between a band and a dancer. There are
      several concepts that I'm not sure I can supply all the ideas, ideas
      to create the tension, or syncopations and things that makes it more
      complicated, very similar to that understand what a basic harmony is
      understand about the relations between 3 notes, and then theres a lot
      to learn further. The academics will always fail because they can't
      appreciate anything that is not alien to the simple.
      Tommersl