Re: xylophone (was: Top Ten)

    Message 1 of 1 , May 18, 2007
      ----- Original Message -----
      From: "Mordechai Litzman" <folke613@...>
      To: <RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Friday, May 18, 2007 8:03 PM
      Subject: Re: [RedHotJazz] Re: Top Ten

      >I wondered what the difference is between a vibraphone and a xylophone -
      >Google and Wikipedia to the rescue: A vibraphone uses metal bars and a
      >xylophone wooden bars. Earliest xylophone recording I came across is from
      >1920; the vibraphone was invented 1921.

      The only doc I could find about the use of xylophone in early ragtime/jazz
      is
      http://www.blackswamp.com/pdf/Palter1.pdf which I did not take time to read
      yet,
      but one or several recordings were made by a Chris Chapman in 1908; he used
      a "glass xylophone" and was backed by the Victor Orchestra, I do not have
      any other information but the sound and the performer's inventiveness are
      just wonderful.