Re: [RedHotJazz] NEW SONGS - J.C. Johnson and his Five Hot Sparks

  • Andrew Homzy
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 28, 2004
      Dear Scott,

      Thank you for more details.

      To my last post, I also ask:

      Who is George James and if he played alto sax so well, why isn't he better
      known,

      It also seems I was on-the-mark with Simeon & Jabbo.

      Is Ikey Robinson really that good on banjo? What other recordings come to
      mind where he is so prominent?

      Cheers,

      Andrew Homzy, Montréal

      From: Scott Alexander <scott@...>
      Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2004 09:39:42 -0700
      To: RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [RedHotJazz] NEW SONGS - J.C. Johnson and his Five Hot Sparks

      The latest Rust guesses that the following personnel played on the record:
      Walter Bennett - Cornet
      Mabel Horsey - Piano (but then says that J.C. Johnson's other records are of
      no jazz interest?)
      Charlie Vincento - Banjo
      Everyone else is unknown.

      The Biograph LP that the songs came from has the following guesses but is
      not sure of any of it:
      Jabbo Smith - Cornet
      Roy Palmer - Trombone
      George James - Clarinet or Alto Sax or both
      Omer Simeon - Clarinet
      Mabel Horsey or J.C. Johnson - Piano (they acknowledge Rust's guess of Mabel
      being the pianist but wonder why J.C. Johnson is not listed when his name is
      on the label)
      Ikey Robinson - Banjo