Re: [RedHotJazz] sound distortion on some Timeless & Retrieval CDs

    Message 1 of 5 , May 22, 2005
      on 19/5/05 18:12, Fitzpatrick, Gerard at gfitzpatrick@... wrote:

      > Could any group members explain the sound distortion on 3 CDs that I own?
      > One is from Retrieval ("Hot Hylton") & 2 are from Timeless
      > ("Brunswick/Vocalion Odds & Bits" & the second disk from the 2-CD set
      > "Clarence Williams & His Orchestra, vol. 1, 1933-1934").

      My copy of the latter is certainly also afflicted. It's obvious why I had
      never noticed. I play mono records in true mono and in mono it is hardly
      noticeable, which may also explain why the producers didn't spot it.

      I probably never would have noticed it as anything other than a surprisingly
      high surface noise level in places if I hadn't been prompted. Playing in
      stereo does of course make it obvious that the noises are extraneous and
      makes them very irritating.

      Now I have noticed I think I'll be hanging on to those Swaggie LPs!